Painted Concrete Driveway

I have a concrete driveway that has been painted with regular latex house paint. What I can do so that I can apply a good stain sealer and it won't peel off?

Ronnie from New Smyrna Beach, FL

I 'm not sure I would have painted the driveway...there are excellent concrete stains that won't peel. I don't believe there is any kind of sealer for latex paint. When the concrete gets hot from the sun, it will surely peel or bubble. I painted my patio but watered down the paint and sponged it on (mimicing a stain), but this was before i was aware that you could buy concrete stain.

Good luck in your search for a sealer.

I also painted my lanai with regular latex paint, and it has begun to peel and look bad. I inquired and was told I had to sand the old paint completely off before applying anything thing else, or it would also peel. This requires renting a big powerful sander, which I am not sure I can handle, so I have done nothing, and just letting it peel.

Pittsburgh paint has water base concrete stain witch is not as shiny as oil base. Pressure wash everything and try to get the permacrete sealer from pittsburgh paints the code is 4-6200.

First, you want to remove the paint that is on the driveway. Concrete paint is terrible to use on exterior applications because paint is very sensitive to moisture. When moisture becomes present from below the concrete, it will cause the paint to peel. Paint is also sensitive to heat. If the concrete heats up on a hot day, it can cause the paint to soften and lose its bond.

Once the paint is removed, you have a few choices. You can use a concrete water repellent sealer (like Foundation Armor's SX5000) or you can use an acrylic lacquer coating (like Foundation Armor's AR350). Acrylic lacquers are designed to penetrate and bond to the concrete. They are breathable and are not sensitive to moisture or heat.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJanuary 15, 2006
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Painted Chinese furniture.
Cleaning Painted Wood Furniture
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
🎄