How do you remove mold from wood window sills?
Misty from Missouri
Make a solution of bleach and water. Solution can be 3 parts water 1 part bleach. if that is to weak increase the bleach and use less water. Spay,wipe,paint, blot or any other way you want to apply it. if it is mold it will disappear in a few minutes. Then wash and dry window sill. Be careful using the bleach and don't spill any.
Wash with a bleach solution: 1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water.
The EPA recommends first cleaning the area with detergent and water and letting it dry thoroughly. They no longer recommend using bleach as a routine first course of action. Use a good stiff brush, wear chemical gloves and a NIOSH/N-95 mask when cleaning to keep from breathing in mold spores.
More info here: http://www.epa.gov/mold/cleanupguidelines.html
I had good luck with Tilex Mold and Mildew remover. I got it at Dollar General. I thought it did an amazing job on some ceiling tiles.
Two things that really work for mold and really they are the only things that should be used.
First, rent an ozone machine and ozonate the room where the problem is... Ozone converts to oxygen and it kills mold.
Second and less expensive is hydrogen peroxide (H2o2), the kind you buy in Wal Mart for about a dollar. Buy a quart bottle of H2o2 and buy an empty quart sprayer bottle. Remove the sprayer head from the bottle and place it on the H2o2 bottle and spray on the mold. The oxygen inside will kill the mold.
Jim in Jax
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!