Finding Jeans for a Hard to Fit 10 Year Old

I have a very hard to fit son who needs pants for the winter. Usually we go to JC Penney, Gap.com, Kohl's, and Old Navy.com for husky sizes, but they are still too long. He is 10 and average size compared to his class. He has no belly, but is wide in the waist and has a big booty. I know we could cut off or have them hemmed, but am looking for any more suggestions from you all. Maybe even custom fit jeans or something. Thanks!

By Angie from Cleveland, TN

I have the same problem with my 9 year old son. I typically shop at the same places you mentioned for my other boys but find it hard to find things for my 9 year old. Whom BTW, wears a 12 Husky and they are always too long. Wide waisted and big booty are his problems as well.

My suggestion to you is the second hand and consignment shops. I am always amazed at what people donate or sell at consignment shops. Last year I went to Goodwill looking for jeans for him to play in and was so pleasantly surprised to find jeans that fit him and looked brand new. 2 pair still had tags! Some were even name brand. Although, that doesn't make much difference to me. I have went this year as well and found great buys. I was in need of a pair of hiking boots for him because he recently became a cub scout and found a brand new pair of Skechers Hiking Boots, tag still attached, for $3.00. You would never know I purchased these items used or from a second hand store unless you were told.

It was also nice to have only given $3.00 a pair for the shoes and the jeans as well. I don't know if you have the same problem I have, but my son still manages to wear out the knees on his jeans, so it was nice not having to spend a lot of money on jeans that he will wear out and grow out of so quickly. I would recommend that you take him with you to try them on. Also, go with a little patience, as it does take a little while to go through the racks to find what you are looking for. I wish you the best of luck!

As a short adult, I can wear pants that would be cropped as almost usual pants for me. There are a lot of cropped cargo pants and similar styles out now. Try to see if they would do. Also, perhaps very long shorts, as long as the weather is not too cold (if the school dress policy allows that).

Thanks for your suggestions. I do shop at yard sales thrift stores & we have twice yearly childrens consignment sales. I actually found 1 pair of lucky custom made jeans at the consignment sale for $2.00 That are perfect but looked at new ones & they are $125.00. Im also going 2 try to do the iron on hem on some yardsale 1s in case i mess them up. As for capris that works great for my 6 yr old daughter but havent found guys cropped or capris. I bought a size 0 bermuda short at aeropostale that r perfect pants for my 6 year old lil girl for $5.99.

I buy my grandsons jeans at Haband an on-line store. The e-mail is shop@e.haband.com. You can order xs length there.

Do you just look at the boys pants? If so, try the mens' dept. You can get a better selection of waist size with shorter lengths. That's what I had to do with my daughter who had the same problem.

www.makeyourownjeans.com

You can send a favorite pair for them to copy or fill out the measurement form and have some made. Not overly pricey, either.

I found that Target jeans are about 2" larger than jc penney and kohls jeans, shirts too. I don't know if the length would be shorter or not. Blair also has custom lengths so I would try them. Good luck.

Consumer Advice Clothing BuyingOctober 10, 2010
A woman struggling to put jeans on.
Finding Women's Jeans That Fit
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
🎉
🎄