Be Thrifty in the Kitchen With Eggs

I love to look for ways to be thrifty in the kitchen. One of the most inexpensive food staples I have in my refrigerator is the egg! If you are still concerned about the cholesterol in your diet, in most recipes, you can use just the whites. My cholesterol is a little on the high side of normal, but my doctor has not banned the egg from my diet. Moderation is the key. Frequently, the local grocers run eggs on sale at great prices, even buy one carton and get another carton for one free.

Here are some great facts on eggs I would like to share with you. My local Kroger store sent out a mailer recently with egg safety and usage tips:
Use only properly refrigerated ( below 45 degrees F), clean, unbroken eggs. Eggs need to be used withing 30 days of the "sell date" stamped on the carton. Hardboiled eggs can be kept refrigerated for up to one week.

I hardboil eggs often and use them in tuna, chicken, potato, and pasta salad. The hard boiled egg also makes a great item to pack in a lunch or to eat on the go for breakfast, I did not think of them for breakfast until our last trip out of town, the Holiday Inn had hard boiled eggs on the breakfast bar.

When I make deviled eggs, sometimes there are leftovers, which I mash the next day and make egg salad. For easy deviled eggs, after hard boiled and cooled, add a little lite mayo, a little yellow mustard, chopped sweet pickle, and a tiny bit of salt and pepper. When I have left over potatoes or other veggies that will taste good in an omelet, eggs are easy to mix with a little milk and leftover cheese, pour into a heated pan to which you have either sprayed with a cooking spray or melted a little margarine, cook until set, add veggies, fold in half and continue to cook until done. These are just a few uses for the great "thrifty" kitchen staple, the egg. Hope these tips inspire you to experiment with eggs!

By Bobbie G from Rockwall

Ah, the incredible edible....well, anyway...We have hens, and it's amazing how little space and work it takes to have your own fresh eggs. I even know people who live in town who keep a few hens. If you have no rooster, by the way (to the chicken uneducated) then you have no annoying crowing, thusly no annoying gunfire when the neighbors are awakened by said crowing at 4 a.m.. Plus, the QUIET, cheerful hens are delighted to eat the bread crumbs, lettuce bits and such things that are leftover from the kitchen and would otherwise go into the trash.

Also, my husband loves to make deviled eggs for most occasions, and you know the filling NEVER all fits back into the eggs, leaving a nice bit for me to make sandwiches out of. This tides over the hungry, drooling masses clustered around the kitchen while they wait for the main course. It's yummy and makes a great "finger sandwich". Now I'm hungry....must find snack...!

When I am home alone, I often "scramble" a couple eggs in the microwave. I use 2 eggs, about 2 Tbls. of milk, salt, pepper, and -- to make it special -- I often add some Hormel Real Crumbled Bacon bits. Mic for about 50 secons; stir well; and mic another 10-15 seconds. Put on buttered bread and enjoy!! Good with fruit or yogurt. - judy

Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsAugust 6, 2007
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
A pile of brown chicken eggs.
Saving Money on Eggs