Button Tied to Candle Wick

A friend recently bought candles at Kohl's, one is a small pillar and one is round. Each had a long wick tied in a knot at the end with a button attached to the end. Anyone know what the button is for?

Neatnik from Ohio

At it's base or top?

If it's the base, that may be a nifty way to keep the wick weighted/in place as the wax is applied.

If it's on the top of the wick (and the wick is really long) then it's likely a result of substandard manufacturing *smirk* though does provide several good things...

* It keeps the wick from fraying

* It gives you a button

Though, it's likely there to hold the candle/Wick in place while it was in production. I've used various objects to hold the top of the wick in place while making home-made candles, and using a button is actually a grand idea.

As for the exact reason they do it though, I can only speculate (which I've pretty much done above).

The button could be to hang it in the store.

I have seen these candles at Kohl's. I think the button is solely for decoration and is meant to be snipped off. I read somewhere that before lighting a wick, it should be cut to about 1/2 inch in length.

I like to melt my candles in a candle warmer rather than burn them. They last so much longer that way.

The button at the end of the wick would make it very easy to pull the wick out. I wish all candle makers would do this.

Wick Watering to Container Plant
Wick Watering for Container Plants
Keeping Shoelaces Tied
Keeping Shoelaces Tied
plate of cherry topped cookies
Bachelor Button Cookie Recipes
cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
🎄