Making Windshield Wipers Last Longer

Add longer life to car wiper blades. Winter time weather, ice and snow, cause a lot of damage to wiper blades as they tend to freeze to the windshield while parked outside in driveways and parking lots.

Wiper blades are designed to be pulled away from the windshield for washing. I pull them away and leave them out whenever I park my vehicle outdoors during winter months and therefore prevent them from freezing to the windshield.

By doing that, it also makes it much easier to scrape ice and snow off the windshield as the wipers are not in my way and I do not have to use my scraper to unstick my blades from the windshield. Therefore, giving them years of added use.

By Saddlebum from Honor, MI

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

And if your wiper blades don't stand you can slip a plastic grocery bag over them on nights you know it will freeze or snow.

Comment

Before spending money replacing your worn windshield wiper blades, use a fine grit sand paper, about 10 strokes on the edge of the blade that touches the windshield and they will be just as good as new.

By Mary W. from Camden, MI. USA

Making Windshield Wipers Last Longer

Good idea, especially with the cost of everything these days! (09/18/2009)

By JustPlainJo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To make your windshield wipers last longer, when you think you can't use them much more, try running the edges with a knife or the striking side of a matchbook cover over the blade. This will expose softer rubber. My husband said this won't work in all regions, since wipers may have dry rot in some places.

By Terri H.

Making Windshield Wipers Last Longer

You can also use a piece of sandpaper and run it over your windshield wiper blades to give them a little longer life.
(06/28/2005)

By sewingmamma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Cars MaintenanceDecember 21, 2009
Windshield Wipers
Windshield Wipers Don't Work
Windshield Wipers
Cleaning Windshield Wipers
Windshield Wipers
Fixing Squeaky Windshield Wipers
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 2, 2016 at 8:08:12 AM on 10.0.0.98 in 267 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.