AutoCleaning

New Car with Bad Smell

Category Auto

I just got new car, which had mice in it. The mice are out, but they used mothballs to get the mousey smell out. I had it professionally cleaned. The cleaner seemed to get the mothball scent out at first, but now that I've driven it, I can smell mothballs and the cleaner. I've tried Febreeze, and air fresheners, and I don't know what else to do!

Beth (16) from Sask.

Try using baking soda in the car and change it often.

Try using activated charcoal carbron you can buy at walmart or pet stores.

Odo-Ban, sold a Sam's for under $10/gal. Will dilute to 32 gals. Has lots of uses, very effective for getting rid of most any odor.

For you problem with the car, I would suggest using full strength in a spray bottle.

Have never had anyone tell me this product failed.

Baking soda or you can put some charcoal like you grill out with in the car. They both absorb odors.

Renee in TN

This is a suggestion that was given to me for an odor problem. (We have chipmunks that get into parts of cars, make nests etc. = yucky smell.) With the car running, and air conditioner on,windows raised, spray a Lysol anti-bacterial spray, (the type some people spray IN their homes, trash cans, bathrooms etc.)directly into the vents that are in front of your windshield. The spray is pulled into the car and helps with odors. When I did this NO ONE was in the car during the process, I had the windows raised to keep the Lysol in the car. I had to do this a couple of times, but it did combat the odor. I sympathize with you, moth balls and mice, it makes my head hurt just to think of it!!! I have also used a product called Nil Odor with good results. Again it may take a couple of cleanings with the Nil-Odor, but maybe this helps a little. Nil-Odor is also a 1:32 dilution, just go a little stronger since the problem is more challenging Good luck.

Get some Qdoban concentrate and that should do the trick to get rid of the smells you are having in your car. I use it around my house and it works real well. Just follow the directions and use.