SewingCrafts

Fixing Shrunken Sheets

My queen size sheets have shrunk. Is it possible to put a gusset in each side to make them a tad bigger? Has anyone done this and how did it work out? Were you satisfied with the results? Can some one suggest another option for fixing this problem?

Helen from Central Illinois

Sew elastic on each side of the gussett on all 4 corners to hold the bottom sheet in place.

It it were me, I'd take a seam ripper (if you have one) and split the sheets open along the seam at the 2 bottom corners, then I'd hook these 2 sides together with "ironing board cover clips". These clips are simply a piece of elastic that has a strong clip on each end. I buy mine at Dollar Tree, It's a national chain of dollar stores. If there's no seam to open on the bottom corners, then I'd simply cut open a straight line with a pair of scissors then fold the open area back & use washable fabric glue (like Fabri-Tac) or "iron-on seam tape". or simply use pinking sheers so your cut open fabric won't ravel. If you DO sew, just run a quick seam up the 2 sides of the opening & either sew on a piece or 2 of elastic, or just clip on the elastic ironing board cover clips I mentioned above.

* Well! .... At least you know you sheets are comfy 100% cotton!

Before ripping seams, I'd remember how thick COTTON denim jeans always shrink after washing, but will STRETCH OUT because they are cotton....I'd spray the corners with Fabreeze or fabric softener, then stretch them with your hands in all directions and iron the dampened places in the fabric dry afterwards.

If you only need a "tad" of stretch, this should work. Try spraying/stretching the border edges of the fitted sheet as well. If you don't have luck ironing them, or don't WANT to iron, then just let the softener air dry after stretching.

If you have a California King mattress, only Calif. King or FLAT sheets will work, regardless of what you do. If a regular King mattress, I'd encourage you to try the above suggestions first. God bless and help you. : )