Making Fitted Sheets

Category Sewing
Even a beginning sewer can make their own fitted sheets using flat sheets or yardage. This is a guide about making fitted sheets.

Making your own bed sheets allows you to choose your fabric and perhaps get a better fit. This is a guide about pattern for fitted queen sheets.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making fitted crib sheets. Making your own fitted crib sheets allows you to have them coordinate with your child's room. They also are a thoughtful gift idea.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

What is the easiest way to sew elastic on bed sheets? I start in the middle of the seam, but can't get it straight. I try and follow the mark in the middle of the foot. Thank you.

By Theresa from Autryville, NC

Answers

Am presuming that you are talking about putting elastic around the 4 edges? I bought 2 packages of bias tape a bit wider than the elastic I planned to use. Sewed it on the edges of the sheet so it formed a tube all around the sheet edge but open at each corner. I cut elastic about 12 inches shorter than each side of the sheet [4 pieces in all] and threaded each through a tube [didn't want to replace entire length of elastic if it stretched out of shape] and fastened them together with safety pin - top elastic to the side elastic on both sides, then side elastic to the piece at the foot of the bed. It has lasted over a year!

Mahalo for asking for the easiest way because I am definitely going to use JoanDogs idea. Thank you to her also.

What is the terminology to use when ordering the best type of elastic for fitted sheets? We want to make our own, but it will take much more wear and tear as it is for the accommodation industry.

By Sonya from South Africa

How to make a fitted sheet out of a flat one?

By Gail from GA