Trouble Sewing Elastic on Sheets

What is the easiest way to sew elastic on bed sheets? I start in the middle of the seam, but can't get it straight. I try and follow the mark in the middle of the foot. Thank you.

By Theresa from Autryville, NC

Am presuming that you are talking about putting elastic around the 4 edges? I bought 2 packages of bias tape a bit wider than the elastic I planned to use. Sewed it on the edges of the sheet so it formed a tube all around the sheet edge but open at each corner. I cut elastic about 12 inches shorter than each side of the sheet [4 pieces in all] and threaded each through a tube [didn't want to replace entire length of elastic if it stretched out of shape] and fastened them together with safety pin - top elastic to the side elastic on both sides, then side elastic to the piece at the foot of the bed.

It has lasted over a year!

Mahalo for asking for the easiest way because I am definitely going to use JoanDogs idea. Thank you to her also.