Making Fitted Crib Sheets

Category Sewing
Making your own fitted crib sheets allows you to have them coordinate with your child's room. They also are a thoughtful gift idea. This is a guide about making fitted crib sheets.

What are the measurements for making a crib sheet?

By Virginia from Chula Vista, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Although this question is rather old I thought I would provide some information for anyone still looking to make their own crib sheets. The standard crib mattress is 51 5/8 inches long by 27 1/4 inches wide by 5 1/2 inches thick. So you will need your fabric to be this size with additional material to go under the mattress and to include the casement or small turned under seam for your elastic. I hope this helps.

I personally have not made crib sheets, but it is a relatively simple sewing project. There are quite a few tutorials on the net that can provide step by step instructions. Happy sewing.

How do you make crib fitted sheets?

By Annie

Answers:

How to Make Fitted Crib Sheets

I measure the mattress of the crib, give enough allowance for the sides of the mattress, stitch the corners into a triangular shape, cut and overlock the excess fabric. Edge stitch and stitch with elastic. (02/28/2010)

By Dorothy

Does anyone know how to make a crib bedding set? I wanted to save money and sew my own, but the patterns cost too much. I figured its basic straight line sewing, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. Most sets come with a fitted sheet, bumper, dust ruffle, and comforter.

I have searched this site and found out how to make the bumper, but I'm really unsure about making a fitted sheet. Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I only have about 4 months till my due date.

By Kristina Gonzales from Beeville, TX

Answers:

How to Make Fitted Crib Sheets

I posted this idea last year. I hope this will help. I know you call things differently in the States, but if it's a Moses basket, you want ideas for I always used cotton pillow cases. They're just the right size. You just slip the mattress in and it won't crinkle up under the baby.

Jan UK (06/04/2009)

By jan nash

Suggestions and advice on how to make your own fitted crib or playpen sheets from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own experiences here.

Use Mattress As A Guide

I made sheets for my playpen for my first grandbaby this year. It isn't hard to do. I know it would be the same for a crib sheet. I bought bargain fabric about a dollar a yard, one pattern was Winnie the Pooh. You can use cotton or jersey knit. I laid my mattress on top of the fabric and then cut it about 8-9 inches longer than that to allow for the depth of the mattress. Then I cut a 4 inch square from each corner using a template I made of cardboard.

Next, I sewed up each of the corners making them pocket corners. The next step is to make a 1/4 inch hem all the way around the sheet and when that is done take 4 pieces of narrow elastic, approximately 16 inches long, and zig zag one on each of the corner pockets. My suggestion would be to "experiment" with an old sheet when making the first one.

Then you will have it made when doing the rest of them. Yeah, I know you can buy them cheaper probably but there is nothing more loving than making them yourself.

By Shelle

How To Make Fitted Crib Sheets

I used the instructions from this website: http://www.bundlesoflove.org/sheetpattern.htm

I bought a set of double sheets, and made 4 crib sheets, 2 from the top sheet, 2 from the fitted sheet, and then had pillowcases that matched when my son became a toddler.

I was able to get soft flannel crib sheets this way. It is hard to find them otherwise, and in a color that matched my nursery scheme.

(05/23/2007)

How To Make Fitted Crib Sheets

The standard crib is 30 inches x 54 inches. The standard crib mattress is 27 1/4 inches x 52 inches.
The standard fitted crib sheet is 28 inches x 52 inches. The depth of the sheet will vary depending on your mattress, most are 4 inches to 8 inches deep. (01/04/2008)

By Regina Arlauckas