Adjusting the Size of Fitted Sheets

I received this pair of sheets for Christmas three years ago and I never did like them. The fitted sheet was a little too big for the bed and it wrinkled when sleeping on it. I put the pair of sheets in the box of items I collect to take to Goodwill, which gives me a little time to really know if I want to part with this item.

Later, a thought popped in my head that taking up the pocket seams might make the sheet fit better. I tried it and it worked. Now they are my favorite sheets.

1. Place sheet on bed upside down to see how much adjustment you need to make.
  2. Set sewing machine to longest stitch in case you need to rip the stitches out.
  3. Start out by taking it up a little to see if that works. To begin with, I sewed a ½ inch seam beside the seams on all four pockets. When I put it on the bed, I could see that it needed a little more adjustment.
  4. I increased the seams on the bottom pockets another ½ inch.
  5. The sheet fits perfectly.

I want to know how to alter a fitted sheet that is too large (loose) for my mattress. My particular sheet has elastic all the way around.

Answers

Best Answer

If this is the issue your best bet is to take it up on both sides of the sheet. You need to figure out how many inches should be removed. Now divide this in half. Along the toip edge of the mattress you should measure for the tuck. I would not do this in the middle or even close to the elastic. But if you make a tuck on the top of this it should work well for you. So basically where the ribbing is on the mattress is where you will be making your tucks and taking the shit in. Then the sheet will fit the top of the bed and the eleastic ends will hook in correctly.

Best Answer

You could take in the elastic, by stitching it tighter, this will give you a better fit!

Best Answer

Maybe this video can help you! www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuyA5sr6I6w

I have had some success with using large safety pins and pinning the sheet under the mattress. It works if I am not extra restless, but sometimes nothing helps.

This video looks like a decent solution!

Post back with and update!

Answer this Question
In These Pages
Crafts SewingOctober 11, 2019
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Adjusting-the-Size-of-Fitted-Sheets-1.html