SewingCrafts

Adjusting the Size of Fitted Sheets

Vote for this contest contender!

I received this pair of sheets for Christmas three years ago and I never did like them. The fitted sheet was a little too big for the bed and it wrinkled when sleeping on it. I put the pair of sheets in the box of items I collect to take to Goodwill, which gives me a little time to really know if I want to part with this item.

Later, a thought popped in my head that taking up the pocket seams might make the sheet fit better. I tried it and it worked. Now they are my favorite sheets.

1. Place sheet on bed upside down to see how much adjustment you need to make.
  2. Set sewing machine to longest stitch in case you need to rip the stitches out.
  3. Start out by taking it up a little to see if that works. To begin with, I sewed a ½ inch seam beside the seams on all four pockets. When I put it on the bed, I could see that it needed a little more adjustment.
  4. I increased the seams on the bottom pockets another ½ inch.
  5. The sheet fits perfectly.
  6. Ad

SMART!

Thanks, Attosa. I'm glad I have somewhere I can share that idea.

Anonymous

I just tuck it all under and works perfect for me

I have bottom sheets that have the elastic all the way around...I hate them!! What a pain to fold. I have one set of old sheets that are elastic only on the top and bottom and it's just plain along the sides. No problem at all to fold! But I have one or two elastic bottom sheets that are too tall for my mattress as I don't have the real deep mattress, so how could I sew those...or is it even possible? I am really annoyed at those sheets...grrr!!

LeeAnne67, the sheet that I adjusted was made to fit an 18 inch mattress and mine is less than 10 inches. Taking up the pockets, as shown in the tip, is what solved the problem for me. The excess is tucked up under the mattress.