Folding Fitted Sheets

Category Laundry
If folding fitted sheets is as frustrating for you as it is for many of the rest of us, don't despair. This is a guide about folding fitted sheets.

I remember the days when we did not have fitted sheets and if the sheet was not tucked in good, you would wake up and find yourself laying on the mattress.

In those days, when my mom changed the sheets, the top sheet became the bottom sheet and a fresh sheet was placed on top. This saved some washing, I'm sure.

The fitted sheet is a great invention. I don't remember how I learned it, but there is a trick to folding fitted sheets. I would like to share the way I was taught to fold a fitted sheet. It's simple and easy.

After the sheets are folded, I place the set together and put it in the linen closet with the fold side out.

• fitted sheet
  • top sheet
  • pillow Cases

1. Using the bed for a flat surface, put the bottom pockets into the top pockets lining the seams up together. This folds the sheet in half.
  2. Smooth the sheet out and fold the sides in so the sheet lays flat on the bed.
  3. Start folding the sheet by lifting the top portion with the pockets over to the bottom portion of the sheet.
  4. Smooth it out and fold over again lengthwise.
  5. Fold over one more time sideways and set aside.
  6. The flat sheet is much easier to fold by just fitting the corners together and folding. Leave the last fold undone for the next step.
  7. Lay the fitted sheet on top of the folded flat sheet.
  8. Ad

9. Place the set of pillow cases in the middle.
  10. Place your hand in the middle and fold over to have the set together.
  11. Store the sheet set in the linen closet with the fold side out making it easy to pick up when you need it.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

What is the best way to fold fitted queen sheets? Mine always end up in a lump that occasionally resembles a rectangle. Most of the time the end result defies description.

By Mike Urciolo from Germantown, MD

Answers

Best Answer

I fold mine in half then fold it till it's about a foot wide then roll it up. I do all my sheets, pillow cases and towels that way. It takes up less space.

Best Answer

Put your finger in each corner on the wrong side. Lay it down on a bed or other surface. Fold the corners down. It makes a rectangle that is the size of the mattress thickness. Do the same with the other side. You have now made the sheet into a rectangle that can be folded just like the top sheet.

How do you fold fitted sheets? I have been watching the Martha Stewart video about folding sheets properly, but I still can't do it. I like an organized linen closet.

By Onesummer

Answers

Anonymous

I spent a summer in college working for the Sheraton so I folded a lot of fitted sheets! I'm just not sure if I can explain this well in words.
1. Fold the sheet in half and "nestle" one of the corners inside the other. I find this easier to do by fisting my hand into one corner to nestle it into the other. The seams that make up the fitted corner should line up.
2. Fold it in half again and nestle the two (already nestled) corners into one. Now all four corners should be nestled together.
3. Smooth the sheet as best you can and fold it lengthwise into thirds.
4. Fold (or more like roll) the length of sheet into a neat fold.

The best way to now store the sheets is to fold the flat sheet just one fold shy of finished. Now tuck the folded fitted sheet and pillowcase(s) into the flat sheet and finish the fold. Now you have a neat package to pull from the linen closet when its time to make the bed.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope I explained it well.

An alternative would be to fold the fitted sheet "good enough" and then slide it and the flat sheet and pillow cases into one of the pillow cases. They won't get separated and will stack neatly.

great idea!