Inexpensive Solution to Hard Water

I am renting a house which has it's own well without a water softener. The water is so nasty, I shower at a friend's when I can. I even give my pets bottled water.

What is the cheapest way to soften the water? Also, what can I use in my hair when I do have to shower at home, something that will soften my hair, and get rid of that metallic smell?

By Suefu from Naperville, IL

If you are renting either a house or an apartment it's the owners problem to fix the water problem. You should report this to the landlord.

Try putting a gallon of bleach in the well at least once a month. I rented a place along time ago, the water was so bad it changed the color of my hair from blonde to red. I had to get gallons of water from a friends house to wash my hair. One gallon for shampooing and one gallon for rinsing. A pain in the a__.

You can buy all sorts of small filters for your drinking water. Some fit right on the tap; others go in pitchers; my son has a large one that sits on the counter, hold about 5 gallons, got it online or from Lee Valley.

For a dishwasher, put in about a cup of vinegar with the rinse.

For laundry, you could try vinegar in the rinse, or use Calgon, a product just for this purpose. You can either use Calgon in the bathtub as well, or purchase a bath product made by Calgon especially for the tub.

Bleach will not soften water. And if your landlord has not so far put in a softener,he is unlikely to do so, although it couldn't hurt to ask. You won't be drinking the softened water, so you will still want a water filter.

You should likely have the water tested; contact public health to find out how to do this.

Here on thrifty fun, I have read of people using vinegar to rinse their hair, but I have never tried that. It might work, and if it is just "hard", the vinegar should work as a final rinse.

Consumer Advice General AdviceJuly 1, 2011
Kitchen With Granite Countertops
Removing Hard Water Spots on Granite Countertops
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Washing Your Hair
Washing Your Hair With Hard Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener