AdviceFood Tips

Shipping Vacuum Packed Homecooked Meals

I have a son in medical school who has no time to cook or get groceries, etc. I was thinking of cooking a little extra of what we are having for dinner and vacuum packing it and then mailing it to him on a weekly basis via USPS. Will my idea work? We generally have fish, chicken, vegetables, and lentils for dinner.

By Kavita from Rochester Hills, MI

I would think you would have to ship it with dry ice to preserve it. Just vacuum packing isn't going to keep it fresh with out keeping it cold. Ship it with dry Ice and I think it would work. You could even freeze the meals and he would just have to microwave them to enjoy Mom's home cooking.

Anonymous

I agree with dry ice but you really ought to talk to the post office first because they have several restrictions now days and you would probably also need to do 1 day shipping. It's such a sweet and nice idea but with the expense of vacuum packing, shipping boxes, dry ice and shipping costs it might be better to send your son a check to help purchase healthy frozen meals or to be able to eat in the cafeteria.

I suggest using fed ex or ups. Call them and let them know what you are doing and they will pick it up at your door I do believe.

Possibly more expensive than it's worth. I suggest you locate one of those places where you can assemble meals for a fee, then bring it home and bake it. Geet him a subscription to this, and when he does have free time, he can pop in, assemble, and bring it home at his convenience. And congrats on having a kid in med school!

I would be very careful of doing this as to guard against botulism.Dried foods is best when sealed properly and the weight of shipping is cheaper. I would invest in a food dehydrator adn make him soups and stews. All he needs is a crock pot n hot water. There is a site called dehydrator 2 store. She has many good ideas to preserve food safely.