Requirements for Replacing Propane Tanks

I just refilled my propane tank and was told that I had to replace my tank next time as it has a 7/97 date stamp on the side. They said that the tank is only good for 12 yrs at which time it has to be replaced because of the pressures that build up in the tank. Is this true? Has anybody else been told to replace their tank. They don't sell tanks where I refilled so its not a sales pitch.

By Charoot from Newark, CA

Yeah, This happened to me (but they didn't give an actual date) but I just went somewhere else & had mine refilled until I can afford a new one. For safety, I keep mine turned off at all times until I'm actually going to use it. After I'm done cooking I'll turn the main knob to off again. Sometimes a "Ma & Pa" store will refill without asking to many details, go when they're super busy. But it's safer to buy a new tank when you can afford one.

PS. I live in WA. state (if it matters).

After I read what you said about your Propane Gas tank I went out and took a good look at mine and I have had mine over 30 years and I didn't see any date on it. I keep a check on it and its up off the ground and I paint it every other year and my gas man also checks it out for me. I have a 250 gallon.

Consumer Advice General AdviceSeptember 4, 2009
propane tank attached to backyard barbecue
Using Propane Tanks
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks