Using Propane Tanks

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 255 Posts

propane tank attached to backyard barbecueDid you know the cost to fill you propane bottle is the same regardless how much propane it takes to fill it? Sometimes it is hard to tell if a bottle is full, half full, or empty. A bottle should have its empty weight on the side, it should be in the neighborhood of 17 lbs. for a small BBQ or fryer sized bottle. A full tank weighs 38 lbs.

I found this out today when I took a bottle to be filled. They charge over $26 to fill a bottle. They asked me if I was sure, I told them to "top it off". That is when they told me it wasn't like buying gas, you pay the full price if it takes a little or if it is totally empty.

I saved myself $26 plus tax. Next time, I will weigh the bottle before I take it to see if it really needs to be filled or not.

Source: The guy at Orschelons. I called some other propane places around, and they verified what he told me as being correct.

By April from NW MO

4 More Solutions

For those of you who exchange your propane tanks for barbecuing, please read this notice.

There's nothing worse than running out of fuel halfway through grilling. If your grill doesn't have a gas gauge, use this technique to estimate how much gas is left in the tank.

Start by bringing a cup or so of water to a boil in a small saucepan or glass measuring cup (if using a microwave).

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 263 Posts

We used to return our empty gas tanks for our BBQ grill to the local retail store and exchange for a new filled tank. Now, we just take out "empty" tank to the local propane company or to a local store that sells propane to fill our tank for us.

Use this tip for your safety and that of your loved ones. Do not store propane tanks in your garage. They may explode when it gets very hot.

Home and Garden Home Improvement ToolsJuly 13, 2014
🌻
👔
🎆
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Propane-Tanks.html