Make Sure You Are Getting Discounts At The Grocery Store

You think you are saving money when you buy discounted food at the grocery store, right. You suppose to be, right. But if the cashier does not see the reduced price and the barcode is not blackmarked across, then you end up paying full price, unless you watch the items go through the register. My tip is keep a eye on the computer screen and make sure that discount ends up as a saving for you.

By Sheila from Ontario Canada

My tip is to always check your receipt before you leave the store!

I agree. Today I watched as a buy-one-get-one deal wasn't discounted. I asked the clerk to check the reciept before I wrote out my check and sure enough, it hadn't been totalled right. I saved $1.45 for just asking! Watch the screen, the clerk, and all your coupons. That 30 seconds can save you money.

This is very true. But, be NICE about it when you point it out to the cashier. I work Service Desk in a retail chain, and I don't mind changing things when the customer nicely points it out. Usually, it just has not been set up correctly in the computer, very rarely is it the cashier's fault. Most of them don't mind doing it if they can, and most service personell do not mind "fixing" it if it gets past the cashier. But, it's much easier if you're nice about it, rather than mad about something that the cashier (most likely) had no control over or made a (human!) mistake.

Sheila, you should check out the Ontario Scanning Code of Practice. It states that if a product scans in at the checkout at a price higher than the shelf price, or any other displayed price; the product is free if it is priced up to $10, or $10 off if the item is more than $10. Look at the checkout for the policy sticker which should be displayed. I always watch to make sure that the items I buy are scanned correctly, but there have been a few times when I've gotten free items because of this :)

Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingFebruary 1, 2008
Bent N Dent Grocery Store
Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores