Reuse Sewing Patterns By Scanning

Scan small pattern pieces and vintage patterns! Since I mostly sew doll clothes, I'm used to scanning each new pattern as I obtain it. That takes several hours of image editing and standing at the printer/scanner, so it keeps me from going too nuts at the fabric stores' frequent 99 cent sales! Be sure to scan a ruler, too, to ensure that the printout is the right size.

Recently, I found several early 60s patterns that yielded wonderful doll outfits. I was very glad I scanned them and used printouts instead of using the fragile, old tissue pattern. My copy paper ones held up for several uses, and I still had the original, safe and intact in the envelope. I could make a thousand 'Oriental Sheath' dresses, without putting so much as a pinhole in the original tissue.

If you save the paper you used to cut the pattern from, you can use it as a template to get the best placement on print-design fabric. Just center the paper where you like, put the pattern piece down, and take away the paper.

Even if you make full size clothes, it's probably a good idea to scan those small but important pieces, and save them to your hard drive. Sewists know that it's the tiny little pattern pieces that always vanish ! Be sure to back up any of your scans to a CD-R.

It's within copyright to back up your patterns, long as you don't sell them!

By Dorrie from Norman, OK

A sewing room garbage can by tying a bag to the table leg.
Sewing Tips And Tricks
Crafts SewingJanuary 9, 2009
clothing pattern
McCall's Patterns Reviews
sewing machine
Sewing Vinyl
Using Sewing Machine
Tips for Using Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Pattern
Finding Vintage Sewing Patterns
🎉
🎄