Jojo's Cupboard Refurbishing

I just wanted to comment on painting kitchen cupboard laminate doors. We'd bought a 2nd hand kitchen a few years ago and the doors were a horrible and a bland pale blue colour, but the carcasses were in excellent condition and much better than some budget units that we could have bought new.

Anyway, finally we decided to give it a facelift until we could afford to replace the doors. I removed the doors, took off all hinges and handles. Then I lightly sanded them and applied a coat of Laminate Primer, then added 2 coats of Laminate Paint which I had tinted to the colours I wanted. The kitchen looks totally different, I wish I'd taken a 'before' photo.

I also bought cheap cream tiles and sheets of mosaic tiling (15 across x 15 down) for under $5 a sheet! We cut these into strips 2 high and used them as a border in the splashback. The whole project, including tile adhesive, cost approximately $250 (Aus). Much cheaper than replacing the doors and I'll be more than happy with this look for a while :)

I just have to patch up a few spots on the walls where we'd redone the tiling! I'd definitely give the laminate paint a thumbs up, just be careful when cleaning it and don't use anything abrasive. I just try to make sure I clean up splashes straight away.

Jojo's Kitchen Remodel

By jojo from Aus

That looks fabulous! And sounds so easy!

LOOKS GREAT!!

MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE PAINT AT LEAST A MONTH TO CURE BEFORE WASHING THE DOORS.

IT WILL LAST THAT MUCH LONGER

They look great! Where do you buy the laminate paint? Do you think it could be used on old formica? My bathroom vanity needs a real facelift. Thanks!

Yes PrairieLady, I'm sure you could do the same with formica. I purchased the laminate primer & paint at a large hardware store and lucky there's a great range of colours that the paint can be tinted to. You have to wash and lightly sand the surface first, then apply one coat of primer so the paint has something to adhere to. Then you apply two coats of the laminate paint, lightly sanding between the coats. All the instructions are on the tins also :)

I'm very happy with the results, it turned out better than I'd expected and I'm even more pleased with the savings on having to replace!

Jojo, do you know what the name of the paint and primer was, like the manufacture? A few weeks ago I stopped at the big orange box and asked someone in the paint dept if they had paint specifically made for melamine or formica and neither of the 2 guys knew of anything. In the past I have done the Kilz and oil based paint thing, but I would like something much more durable. If you have any more info, I would be thrilled! Thanks for your help.

The brand of laminate paint & primer I purchased in Australia is called 'White Knight'...I'm sure similar products are available elsewhere but possibly made by different companies. They were available in 1 litre size tins, I used one tin of primer as it only required one coat...but two x 1 litre tins of paint (the walls and bases were different colours anyway). Perhaps you could try searching for 'White Knight' on the internet & see if it's available elsewhere, it really was easier than I expected :)

Photos Home ImprovementMarch 14, 2006
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Stuffed Easter Bunny
Refurbishing Stuffed Animals
🎄