Product FinderConsumer Advice

Tea Kettle Recommendations for Ceramic Top Range

I just bought a new ceramic top electric range and have been told I have to buy a special tea kettle. Any suggestions?

By Elaine from Willow Grove, PA

Stainless steel teapot is what I purchased off the 'net for my ceramic top stove. I accidentally turned on the burner when washing the knobs and had a teapot with surface of porcelain coating and a tiny blemish was created on the burner where it sat before I noticed it. I removed the teapot and bought the stainless steel. Aluminum is not recommended for ceramic top stoves either, but I do use aluminum fry pan on low heat and have had no problems.

I don't know where the above poster got the information you can't use aluminum on glass top stoves. We use aluminum and cast iron pans and cookware all the time with no bad results. Have been doing this for years. Only problem we have had is using rounded bottom cookware. For some reason the pans move on the stove when cooking with them.

Ditto on foxrun 41's post, we've been cooking on a ceramic top for a long time and have found that the only no-no is dragging heavy pots and pans over the surface, which can cause scratching.

Also, we've never used the pricey ceramic cleaners, either. As soon as the cooktop cools down, I just run a soapy sponge scrubber over it and get any food residue off with the plastic scrubber side, then spritz some all-purpose cleaner (we use Greenworks) and a paper towel to finish off and shine up.

Enjoy it! I find it so much easier to keep looking great than the old electric stove with the drip pans that was such a project to keep clean, and the cooking temp seems more constant and efficient, too.

I have a smooth top stove (not sure, are they all ceramic?). I just use my regular tea pot and have never had a problem. Good luck!

I have never done anything special with my glass top stove. It was in the house when we bought it 7 years ago and it doesn't look much worse for wear. I don't know if there is a lot of variety in surfaces for those. I have used cast iron, stainless steel, pretty much anything.

Thank you, everyone!