Wildlife in the Backyard

I have an area in back of my house at the edge of the woods where I feed the birds and the squirrels. I spend hours watching them play and feed. A couple days ago, I had a new guest at my "critter table".

I took this picture from the window above my kitchen sink. She came two days in a row, and I haven't seen her again, but I am sure she will be back. She enjoyed the shelled corn on the table.

Deer in the Backyard

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

She is beautiful! Doesn't that just make your day when you see wildlife such as this? We have deer in our back field this year and a similar doe and two yearlings that we see often, Not as close as yours however. I am enchanted.

She's beautiful. Lucky you. I feed a lot of small critters too. I've created quite a "diner".

Here is an update to this submission. The Doe has made several visits since the initial one. And here is a picture of the visit last Thursday (7/6) when she brought her baby along. I love my backyard sanctuary.

Harlean from Arkansas

Harlean, how lucky you are to have the wildlife in your yard. City living does not afford me that pleasure, I am so envious!

Bless your heart for feeding all of God's Gems ... and thank you for sharing the pictures and story.

Northern Virginia

This is OT. I went to Jennings High School with a lovely girl named Harlean, and often wondered where she is. I have seen your posts, and decided to take a chance and see if you might be that person.

Camilla... CamsCottage AT aol.com

They are such beautiful creatures. Here in Baltimore, city life is encroaching on their territories. More often than not, I only see them after being struck by a car on our busy roadways, which makes me so sad.

Photos WildlifeJuly 11, 2006
Squirrel eating a flower.
Protecting Bulbs from Wildlife
Burning brush in a backyard.
Alternatives to Backyard Burning
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
Pond Fish
Protecting Pond Fish From Wildlife