Flying Bugs in My House

I have flying insects around the house. I don't know if they are gnats or mosquitoes. They are very annoying and they make my body itch. Does anybody have any home remedy to get rid of these annoying things? Thanks.

By Maribel from PA

Try bug spray.

I found this on this site:

1. take a styrofoam plate with a lip tall enough to hold 1/4"-1/2" apple cider vinegar. I go with 1/2".

2. fill plate with apple cider vinegar.

3. then take Lemon scented Joy and sprinkle a fair amount of it over the vinegar.

4. plate place on flat area - keep pets away.

The next morning you should have all sorts of flying insects that drowned in this mixture.

I used it outside because I got those horrible big flies, plus the regular size ones, flying around the place i site outside to read. I used beer in a recipe to get rid of mosquitos and the beer attracted flies - just like my husband said they would!

The next morning I had 16 flies drowned! Plus a lot of other gnat-like things. I just changed the plate every day.

I tried this in my house b/c I found one gnat, I get a little too excited about some things. Anyway I did the recipe above and in the morning nothing was in the plate. i figured the gnat died on it's own and brought the plate outside. that's when I found all those flies/gnats in the plate the next morning, but the recipe said it works indoors so I'd try it. you have nothing to lose! I bet it works too!

One more thing: another way to get rid of flies, you have to have good aim, is to take a spray bottle and fill it with rubbing alcohol; the highest concentration you can find. take aim and spray. it works pretty well to keep them away, Not perfect. but if you do spray one, they die and that part is great.

I'm not sure if alcohol is bad for pets; you can find out by asking someone on this site, I'll bet. but i have pretty good aim and killed that one rotten fly in my house last night. dead as a doornail!

Good luck to you.

About the gnats in bath & kitchen areas. If they are the gnats that look like baby flies with big round wings. Take a can of foam bug spray. Spray down Aall drains before you go to bed. (Those kind breed in the drains.) You may have to repeat this one more time. I've never seen this fail.

June 29, 2010 Flag

Can someone tell me please, what are these black bugs with white zig zags on them? I have them in my house; and they also can fly.

By Gareth from Manchester, UK

April 6, 2010 Flag

Since the summer, I have been finding flying insects in our home. They started in the kitchen, but have also been in the bathroom and living room. They have what appears to be two long brown wings going directly down their back. They squish very easily and do not bite.

Our house is made of wood and I worried that they were flying termites. We brought in an inspector who told us they were just moths. However, they are still here and it is winter. Should I call a different termite company to come and have a look? There are not a lot of them.

Betsy from Baltimore, MD

Flying Bugs in My House

If it started in the kitchen, they could be weevils. I never knew weevils could fly until I had them in my house in Florida. Check your pantry; flour, pasta, any package mixes with powdery seasonings; mac and cheese, etc. You might have to get rid of a lot of stuff (I filled up a trash bag), but removing the source is the key. Then vacuum and clean the shelves.

You probably brought them home from the supermarket in a bag of flour or box of pasta, etc. My exterminator told me the problem can be averted by putting susceptible foods (flour, rice, etc.) in the freezer for 2-3 days before storing it in the cupboards.
The good news is, once I got rid of them and cleaned out, I never got them again.

Flying Bugs in My House

They are probably Indian Meal Moths. They will be living in food products so the time of year it is doesn't matter. They can be found in any product made from plants like cereals, meal, spices, and dog biscuits. Look for something that has been around for awhile and you will see webbing in what they are feeding on.

There is no need to spend money on an exterminator for them, just a thorough cleaning and removing the food source. Open up the unopened boxes of stuff not so much that they are in the food, but the caterpillars will get under the box flaps and turn into the moths so you feel good about getting rid of them then two weeks later a new crop shows up. (01/04/2009)

By larflu

Flying Bugs in My House

Those bugs are roaches.
In the south they are common.
Get the Roach Hotel or something similar and
place them where there are small openings where
these little critters can get in. Good luck. Let
me know how it works. (01/06/2009)

By Delilah500

Flying Bugs in My House

I don't know about all of you, but my mom used to put a basil leaf in her bag of flour or any other dry meal and etc. I do the same thing, because she told me that I wouldn't get bugs in my things. It must work as I am 70 yrs. old and have done this ever since she told me this and I haven't seen any bugs ever develop anywhere. But, everything that has dry product. A basil leaf goes in there right away. (01/07/2009)

By Florrie

Flying Bugs in My House

I had a terrible time with this same problem. You have to interrupt the life cycle of the moth. They will bed up and lay eggs in anything including binding of books, etc.

I understand they generally thrive in dog food and/or bird seed. I discovered bird seed was how my problem started. I got rid of them by removing and discarding any food they had infiltrated and this is important, I hung stickly fly traps in the rooms involved. This trapped them where they could not lay their eggs and then hatch into moths. The fly trap was a more economical way than purchasing expensive sticky pantry moth traps.

It was a long process, but successful. I also sprayed inside my cabinets with insect repellent as I cleaned out the food, empty cabinets of course. I wish you complete success. (01/24/2009)

By Margie

bug spray
Identifying Flying Insects
Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceJune 29, 2010
swarm of mosquitos
Getting Rid of Flying Insects
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants