Identifying Small Black Flying Bugs

I have no idea what it is. It's black, can fly, is fairly small, and I don't know if it bites because I didn't want to stay around to find out. I am literally terrified of bugs and don't feel safe not knowing what it is. I'm a bit of a wimp, but I'm mostly afraid of what I don't know.

Best Answer

Most bugs are harmless to humans, especially small, black flying bugs. Your bug is probably one of the many flies or gnats that coexist with us on the planet. Most often, you bring these little guys home with you in your produce and grains. You can build a quick trap for these and many other flying bugs:

Glass or plastic bottle-small neck type like ketchup bottles
Add about half cup water, a tablespoon of honey and mix.
Use aluminum foil to partially cover the top but leave a hole open about one quarter inch.
Set out on a counter, etc., and forget it.
You will be surprized how many poor little flying bug bodies collect in a couple of days!!!

The previous poster is correct. Most little black insects are harmless, especially if you are talking about fruit flies. However, without seeing the actual insect or a photo of it, it is impossible to say what it is.

You will have to ask someone who is there. There are tiny black flies and no-see-ums that do bite, but usually if you live in an area where such insects exist, you are aware of it.