Flying Bugs in My House

I have flying insects around the house. I don't know if they are gnats or mosquitoes. They are very annoying and they make my body itch. Does anybody have any home remedy to get rid of these annoying things? Thanks.

By Maribel from PA

Best Answer

About the gnats in bath and kitchen areas. If they are the gnats that look like baby flies with big round wings. Take a can of foam bug spray. Spray down all drains before you go to bed. (Those kind breed in the drains.) You may have to repeat this one more time. I've never seen this fail.

Try bug spray.

I found this on this site:

1. take a styrofoam plate with a lip tall enough to hold 1/4"-1/2" apple cider vinegar. I go with 1/2".

2. fill plate with apple cider vinegar.

3. then take Lemon scented Joy and sprinkle a fair amount of it over the vinegar.

4. plate place on flat area - keep pets away.

The next morning you should have all sorts of flying insects that drowned in this mixture.

I used it outside because I got those horrible big flies, plus the regular size ones, flying around the place i site outside to read. I used beer in a recipe to get rid of mosquitos and the beer attracted flies - just like my husband said they would!

The next morning I had 16 flies drowned! Plus a lot of other gnat-like things. I just changed the plate every day.

I tried this in my house b/c I found one gnat, I get a little too excited about some things. Anyway I did the recipe above and in the morning nothing was in the plate. i figured the gnat died on it's own and brought the plate outside. that's when I found all those flies/gnats in the plate the next morning, but the recipe said it works indoors so I'd try it. you have nothing to lose! I bet it works too!

One more thing: another way to get rid of flies, you have to have good aim, is to take a spray bottle and fill it with rubbing alcohol; the highest concentration you can find. take aim and spray. it works pretty well to keep them away, Not perfect. but if you do spray one, they die and that part is great.

I'm not sure if alcohol is bad for pets; you can find out by asking someone on this site, I'll bet. but i have pretty good aim and killed that one rotten fly in my house last night. dead as a doornail!

Good luck to you.