Cat Scratching Furniture

Our cat is scratching our furniture. Any suggestions?

Schwinnjn

Get a squirt gun or spray bottle and squirt him every time you catch him. It works for all kinds of bad behavior and doesn't hurt the kitty.

Hi, Just place doublesided tape on the furniture. That scratching will stop.

When our cat does that we shout, "No." and she stops. I use the hose to keep her on the deck outside as she is an inside only cat. I never spray directly on her, but rather to one side.. She listens just the same. Cats are easier to train than men.. (smile)

I never have that problem because I train my cat that clapping my hands once means no.

I start with a sharp noisy pat with my fingers on the cat's behind just in front of the tail--it's solid bone there. Never hit the cat's head--unless you want to treat a cat headache.

Once the cat learns this means no, you can make that popping sound by clapping your hands. That way, you can communicate with your cat anywhere, even when you are in the middle of a sentence.

Don't tell me popping a cat is bad--this is how they train their kittens, only they're not so picky where they hit.

Cat's don't like to be embarrassed, and clapping your hands is not embarassing to the cat.

This method is fast and efficient.

I use aluminum foil on the furniture. Most cats don't like the feel of it. One important thing to remember, however, is that scratching is natural for cats. You must provide a place that is ok for them to scratch as well as discouraging them from the furniture. You will be much more successful if they are not deprived of a place to exercise their natures.

Double sided tape worked for my cat as well. He did not like the feel of it. That worked until we got another cat who has a tape fetish and removes the tape from the chair so his brother can scratch! double trouble

Pets CatsMay 14, 2006
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
A cat sitting on the arm of a couch.
Cat Friendly Furniture Ideas
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Preventing Cats from Scratching Furniture, Kitten with front paws dangling over the front of the couch.
Preventing Cats from Scratching Furniture
🎄