Foods for Dry Skin

I think I need more water because my lips and skin STAY chapped and dry. Please help! Is there a certain food/drink that make your skin dry?

Mackenzie from Millington, Tennessee

Drink lots of water. It will make your skin smooth and moist and plump it out which makes wrinkles less obvious. Keep caffeine, salt, and carbonation to a minimum -- they all dehydrate skin. So does sunbathing and smoking. Blow dryers dry out skin, moisturize well before using. Many medications also dry out skin. If you are on medication discuss it with your doctor.

Well I am eleven so I don't think I need to worry about smoking, wrinkles (yet) and medication.

Mackenzie: I'm glad you don't smoke (please -- never start) or need medication but it's never too early to start babying your skin. I started at your age. I'll be 56 soon and everybody says I look 20 years younger. Women my age are always telling me they wish they'd takem better care of their skin when they were younger.

Sugar will also dehydrate the skin and body tissue. The skin is the largest organ of the body and needs a great deal of care. Everything you put into your body affects your skin and everything you put on your skin affects and filters through your other organs, your liver, kidneys and bladder. I have interstitial cystitis, a bladder disease with no known cure and no known cause, but it has enlightened me so much about the organs of the body. All the lotions, shampoos and soaps, makeup, all items that touch my skin filter through my bladder and can cause a great deal of pain for someone with interstitial cystitis. Also perfumes, not just the ones I wish I could wear, but the ones that other people wear.

Some very simple ways to take care of your skin and keep it hydrated:

eat healthy with juicy fruits, not sugary juice

avoid carbonated everything

avoid sugar and artifical sweeteners

avoid milk chocolate, dark chocolate in small amounts is actually good for you.

drink green tea instead of black tea and avoid caffeine

do not use lotions with mineral oil, it is petroleum based and will clog pores. Use all natural products, be sure to read the labels and look for shea butter, cocoa butter, and glycerin.

If you have just recently started having this problem, you might want to check your temperature. You may have a low grade temp that needs to be checked by your doctor.

I hope this helps!

Thank you!Do you think I need gallons of water a day or a glass? Thanks AGAIN! -Mackenzie

p.s. 'perfumed fan', don't worry, I am not! I have learned from my aunt that it doesn't do anything good to you!

Some skin conditions manifest as general dryness and are nutritional related, so be sure you are getting enough of the B vitamins daily. This group of important nutrients is non-toxic, so it's safe to supplement. It will take about four months to see benefit, but if you're eating a deficient diet there will be no other permanent source of relief. Another skin-related nutrient group you may be needing is the 'good' fats, the lipids that support skin health, found in cold-pressed oils and cold-water wild-caught fish. Everyone knows salmon is a good Omega-3 source, but not everyone knows that farmed fish are fed a diet that causes drastically reduced levels of omega-3 lipids in the fish. Good luck, and may you have skin like that lady above who looks 20 years younger when you're 56!

I remember someone saying that an imbalance in our electrolytes can cause dry, peeling lips. Don't know about skin tho.

Be sure you don't overdo on the water drinking! You can actually drink too much! But also, have your blood sugar checked as it is a diabetic's big problem. I have found a small amoung of Aveeno's Daily Moisterizer Lotion, put on a very moist skin with wet hands, makes my face and hands much better. Good luck!

My little brother is a diabetic... Will try to drink to much water!

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care Dry SkinSeptember 2, 2007
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Dry Sunburned Skin Remedies
Remedies for Dry Sunburned Skin
Lotion happy face on foot
Remedies for Dry Skin
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner