Using Coal Tar Shampoo

I have psoriasis and am considering using coal tar shampoo to ease the itchiness on my scalp. Can anyone recommend how I can counter the 'petrol' smell of coal tar shampoo? For example, with a really flowery smelling conditioner? I want to ease the problems on my scalp but I don't want my hair to smell like petrol!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kate from Melbourne, Australia

Why use shampoo at all? Here in Australia it was mentioned on a popular morning program called Sunrise that all you need to wash your hair with is hot water. I have been doing this now for 3 weeks and my hair feels wonderful. It is thicker and it stays put and I don't have to use hair spray. In the first week it is a little itchy but all you do is grab your brush and it feels much better.

If we think about it - God made Adam and Eve - not a shampoo factory near by.

The trick that I use is that I style it dry every morning and it looks and smells great.

Give it a go!

Linda

As a fellow sufferer, I understand your search. I use Neutrogena T-Gel Extra strength. It has a less noticeable coal tar smell.

Another option is adding a couple drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo. Works as well as T-gel but with a better scent.

Coal tar shampoo has also worked for me in the past. The smell isn't that great, but it does fade in a few hours. I never had anyone comment on it.

Coal tar shampoos never worked for me. Or any other "special" shampoo either. I found the best results using Tree Tea Oil directly on my scalp applied with a cleaned out hair coloring bottle. The oil I buy now has an almost minty smell. Then I read about putting it directly in my shampoo. I just shake the bottle of shampoo before using it to be sure it's mixed in well. On occasion if I feel extra dry and itchy, I still apply it directly. Good luck!

Neutrogena's was the standard when I went through this, and I found it worked well enough that eventually I didn't need any special shampoo, just a moistuizing one. Returning to Neutrogena's T-gel when needed...if not, I would sincerely call a dermatologist, I'm in RN school, and I know they often will take a message from a non-patient asking a general question of the doctor. The nurse, may even know without checking with the doctor. Tell them you are considering seeing a derm. but that in the mean time, you need some quick advice...the medical assistant or RN in the office that works for the doctor should talk to you with that intro. Of course, going in or seeing your own derm. is best, but if you can't for any reason. Call one. If they won't help you, call another one. This is the advice we give patients in the ER about alot of general questions. They won't diagnose you over the phone, but if you say, I have this issue...I've used this, but need a better alternative, they will often help. Good luck!

Tea tree oil seems to work great for alot of my clients with psoriasis in the salon. I would start off using a the shampoo and conditioner once a day for a week and cut back to once a week (it can become a little drying to the hair shaft). If that doesn't seem to do the trick go for something a little stronger like a tea tree hair and scalp treatment. Most salons will give you a 30 day warranty to try out the product, unlike drug stores. That way if you don't like it, you can always return it.

Hot water! If that worked, my psoriasis would be gone. Try Denorex. It feels good and is great on the hair.

I alternate between "TeaTree Oil Shampoo" and "Sebcur" which is a salicylic acid/coal tar shampoo (dark but doesnt leave smell).

If dry skin is falling I use a prescription called "BetaDerm" which is a corticosteroid.

This routine works well and is relatively inexpensive, combining natural and medicated remedies

I have been using coal tar, milacris shampoo for nearly 30 years. It has worked and will continue to use it.

Kate, Forget all of the voodoo products that you hear about. Ive had psoriasis for a while now and while coal tar shampoo does help it doesn't make it go away. Ask your dermatologist about Clobex. It is pretty expensive but not too bad if you have good insurance. It works wonders though.

Use vinegar after you shampoo your hair. It will stop the smell of any shampoo odor/scent, good luck.

May 1, 2014 Flag

I need to know where and how I can get Milacris shampoo. I used it in the past, but can't find it.

By Carl

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did some google research and apparently that brand is discontinued. But you can google "coal tar shampoo" or you can go to your local pharmacy, big box stores, and it will be on the shelf. Many brands of that if you are not stuck on the one brand you mentioned.

A man applying coal tar shampoo.
Using Coal Tar Shampoo
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ProductsMay 15, 2007
Coal
Uses for Coal Ash
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
🎉
🎄