Share Crafts

Heater Made with Terracotta Pots

I saw a great idea on the web for a heater made out of several terracotta flower pots nested inside of each other, upside down, over a candle in a glass. Apparently, the heat is caught in the terracotta and then radiates out. I can almost figure out how to nest the pots, etc. But the one I saw had a steel tripod to hold up the pots over the candle - Any idea how I could something like that?

Pam from Los Angeles

Best AnswerAnswer this Question

This answer has been rated the best for this question.

By Milenda (Guest Post) 02/12/2008

this is what I found on it... Sounds REALLY intriguing and I will probably make one/two myself just to see what they can do!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Cyinda 214 1,287 02/08/2008

Post the web site so we can see the original. This will give us a better idea of what you're talking about. I'm wondering if they used "Sterno" (instead of a candle) because a "regular" candle would put out WAY to much carbon, which would eventually COVER the tera-cotta planters in an ugly black soot.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By susan 8 1,368 02/14/2008

An absolutely fantastic idea. Following the links, there's a page that shows how to use an electric light instead of the candle for heat. If anyone can think of how to make a stand, please post--I'd like to make one too. For the price, I'm tempted to buy one. It would pay for itself with the price of heating this winter. Thanks for posting.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jeffrey (Guest Post) 11/12/2008

I am not sure on how to make the stand but seems to me it would work even better if you drilled a hole in the center of the pot and ran a steel dowel/pipe down to just above the flame. The heat would radiate up the steel into the pot better than just trapping the heat!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No