Changing the Color of a Couch

I would like to change the color of an old couch we have. I know there is a product called Simply Spray, but they don't have any colors that I can use. I am looking for a taupe or moss green. Does anyone have any suggestions where to buy a fabric spray or is there some other way to do this? The material cannot be removed from the couch. I thought there might be paint that I can buy and put in a spray bottle or use a sponge brush.

By Marianne from NY

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Instead of going through all that trouble of finding a fabric spray, why don't you purchase a couch slip cover.

I have saved this link for a long time thinking one day I would try. I haven't yet. If you do, please post results and pictures.

www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_painting_staining/article/0,,DIY_13770_5145413,00.html

I'm not sure about spray because I think it'll come off on people sitting on the couch. I agree, if possible, on slipcovers. Google "slipcovers" or "couch covers" and see if anything works. If it's a weird color, could you cover up a lot of the surface with pillows mostly in other colors, or runners over the back and sides. Good luck, I know how much sofas cost.

You know how hair gel gets stiff and spiky? the spray will too, causing the fabric to be rough. Eventually it will start rubbing off as a powder. Slip covers are cheap and fit great, for many types of couches.

I made a couch cover by sewing the sides of 2 full size sheets together. I can take it off each week and throw it in the washer. Be sure to measure your couch to see what size sheets you would need.

Many years ago, in the late 50s, early 60s, I had an aunt who would use something on her couch, to enhance the color of it. I'm assuming back then it was something she brushed on. The couch always felt stiff afterwards, until it faded off and needed to be redone. I always liked the color of the couch before she did it, it was kind of a sage color. I imagine she did this brush on stuff when she felt the couch was looking kind of old. The dye that she put on it made it closer to an olive color. I guess being they make such nice slip covers now, I would do that. My Mother used slip covers, but they weren't near as nice as the ones now.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingMarch 27, 2009
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
Vertical Blinds
Changing the Color of Vertical Blinds
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 12:00:16 PM on 10.0.1.163 in 949 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.