DishesCleaning

Use Your Dishwasher as a Drying Rack

Our dishwasher recently went out, until we get it fixed, we are using it as a double drying rack for hand washing dishes. Everything is self contained and there's no need to use up counter space.

By FDReese1 from Richfield, MN

I use my dishwasher for plastic storage. I don't like the "wash the dishes then wash the dishes" on my bill. But the drying rack is something I might think about as I too hate drainers. Great idea!!

I was reading in a magazine at the doctor's office about organizing a kitchen. The article advised removing your dish rack/drainer from the counter because it makes the kitchen look cluttered and use your dishwasher to drain the dishes. After washing my dishes I always dry them with a papertowel or dishtowel which is time consuming because my towels are not absorbent towels. Just wondering does anybody do this?

By Onesummer

Wouldn't work for me. My dishwasher's always full of dishes, clean or dirty! But yes, putting away the dishes and dishrack always makes the kitchen look nice and neat.

I dont like drying dishes either. I set my dishes to drain on a dish towel on the counter for half an hour or so, and then I put them away. Many are still damp or have spots of water. But they are always dry when I go to get one. It keeps the counters clean, and less work for me.

Why would you be washing and drying dishes if you have a dishwasher? I do not own anything that will not go into the dishwasher. I have not owned a dish rack in many many years.

Unless you are selling your house, I don't think you have to fuss over the dish rack. I use a dishwasher to wash the dishes. Why would you do them by hand if you have one? I don't own a dish rack! But, if I did have to do dishes by hand, I would let them air dry in the rack (this is more sanitary as well and certainly wouldn't use paper towels, that must cost a bundle and is also so wasteful ), and when they were dry, put them away, just like a person has to do with the dishwasher. Putting hand washed dishes to dry in a dishwasher is a silly idea think.