Use Your Dishwasher as a Drying Rack

Our dishwasher recently went out, until we get it fixed, we are using it as a double drying rack for hand washing dishes. Everything is self contained and there's no need to use up counter space.

By FDReese1 from Richfield, MN

I use my dishwasher for plastic storage. I don't like the "wash the dishes then wash the dishes" on my bill. But the drying rack is something I might think about as I too hate drainers. Great idea!!

August 16, 2011 Flag

I was reading in a magazine at the doctor's office about organizing a kitchen. The article advised removing your dish rack/drainer from the counter because it makes the kitchen look cluttered and use your dishwasher to drain the dishes. After washing my dishes I always dry them with a papertowel or dishtowel which is time consuming because my towels are not absorbent towels. Just wondering does anybody do this?

By Onesummer

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wouldn't work for me. My dishwasher's always full of dishes, clean or dirty! But yes, putting away the dishes and dishrack always makes the kitchen look nice and neat.

I dont like drying dishes either. I set my dishes to drain on a dish towel on the counter for half an hour or so, and then I put them away. Many are still damp or have spots of water. But they are always dry when I go to get one. It keeps the counters clean, and less work for me.

Why would you be washing and drying dishes if you have a dishwasher? I do not own anything that will not go into the dishwasher. I have not owned a dish rack in many many years.

Unless you are selling your house, I don't think you have to fuss over the dish rack. I use a dishwasher to wash the dishes. Why would you do them by hand if you have one? I don't own a dish rack! But, if I did have to do dishes by hand, I would let them air dry in the rack (this is more sanitary as well and certainly wouldn't use paper towels, that must cost a bundle and is also so wasteful ), and when they were dry, put them away, just like a person has to do with the dishwasher. Putting hand washed dishes to dry in a dishwasher is a silly idea think.

Yes, I do this all the time. That's why I load the back of the dishwasher first to leave room for those things that you hand wash. I use it when spiffing up the house before the holidays for cut glass and silver pieces that need hand washing. I may still dry/shine with cloth towels (paper towels too expensive), My beloved mother-in-law use to say "God's always with me. I wash the dishes, he dries them."

I have a small dish rack that I keep in one side of my double sink. I know that rack-less kitchens look nice, but I am not into that. My house is what I like to call 'natural', I suppose if I were trying to sell it, like another poster said, that I would do that. I don't care to wipe them dry, too much work for me! LOL! I guess everyone has to find what works for them and their family.

I have a dishwasher and a dish rack. I use the dish rack for items that are not dishwasher-safe and for the cats' food bowls, which get hand washed until the dishwasher gets run. There is only two of us so it doesn't get run every day. Also, unless something is needed immediately, if it's in the dish rack then it gets air dried.

I always have a certain amount of items I hand wash....either they are just too big and bulky and would take up too much valuable space in the dishwasher or they wouldn't do well in the dishwasher. Here because of softened water and that combined with the harsh dishwasher detergent, we can get hazing on clear glassware. Even things such as clear glass measuring cups and pyrex baking dishes, I hand wash to avoid them getting that horrible cloudy look that once it's there, it's permanant. I just lay things out on a dishtowel on the counter to dry and put away the next morning.

I don't like the extra work of drying dishes but my daughter loves to help me so if she's offering, I let her dry!

I am not fussy so seeing a dish drainer on someone's counter would not bother me!

I prefer my dishes air dried. Fewer germs that way. I have a dishwasher and I never use the 'heated dry' option, I just open the door at the end of the last rinse cycle. I do use the heated wash option to sanitize my dishes. If I wash something by hand I put it in the drain that fits inside one side of my sink until it is dry and then put it away. Paper towels are wasteful and kitchen towels get expensive to wash plus they carry germs if you use them more than once.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJuly 17, 2009
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Dish Drying Rack
Uses for a Dish Drying Rack
Spice Rack
Starter Spice Rack Suggestions
🎉
🎄