Bugs Inside Mimosa Seed Pods - Categories:

SeedsGardening

Bugs Inside Mimosa Seed Pods

I thought I was so lucky when a neighbor let me have as many seed pods as I wanted from their Mimosa tree. Next thing I know, while I'm shelling them, I see 90% have a little hole in them from some kind of bug.

I put the whole seeds in a sealed pill bottle with a small container of desiccant. I just got them out to starting planting the seeds when I see holes in the seeds and gnarly little bugs putting their bellies on the inside of the bottle! How can I get quality seeds from a hardy tree without the bugs and holes?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Jane from Baltimore, Maryland

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

The mimosa is one of my favorite trees - I suppose because it brings back memories of climbing my Aunt Ruby's mimosa as a child, as well as being a pretty tree. You should know, however, that most states consider it a nuisance, invasive species and strongly discourage its propagation. As for your bug issue, I have never seen a mimosa that wasn't crawling w/one sort of bug or another because of the heavy sap it produces. As for what specific bug you have there I have no idea, but you could probably due a computer search.

Hello: I don't know what kind of bugs you got in your seeds. But you should consider a seed trade.

THRIFTY FUN has a seed trade.

If you have some seeds of something I don't have I can send you some mimosa seeds for trade. I don't know what color the flowers will be. I still have to plant some of the seeds also.

I don't think the tree will survive our growing zone but wanted to bring the tree in during winter to see what happens. I am in zone 5 a.

But I need to do the reasearch on this plant. Possibly it does survive our zone? Not sure?

I got mine in a recent seed trade.

I am on the thrifty fun seed trade that has the blue flowering wandering jew that is available in the summer.

Linda B

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJanuary 21, 2009
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
Crafts Using Maple Tree Seed Pods
Crafts Using Maple Tree Seed Pods
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 2:20:41 PM on 10.0.2.72 in 902 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.