Removing Band-Aids from Stuffed Animals

Category Toys
Kids can sometimes feel comforted by having a favorite stuffed animal get a Band-Aid in the same place as their injury. However, the Band-Aids can leave a sticky residue on the fur of the stuffed animal. This is a guide about removing Band-Aids from stuffed animals.

How do you get Band-Aids off a stuffed cloth animal? They are really stuck to the cloth and rip when I try to pull them off.

Joan from Philadelphia, PA

Best Answer

STOP AND READ FIRST!I have a VERY smart MOM! In a panic I called her and she said "USE HAND CREAM". I used Jergens.

I applied a two drops, (just enough to cover the surface and around the edges), and I smeared it around. Then I started to pick off the band-aid with my nail and it peeled off in one piece! LEAVING NO RESIDUE! NO greasy mess, and no harm to stuffed animal!

Using any heat will melt the glue and cause you more trouble. Freezing it does no good. So try this! It really works!

Anonymous

This worked perfectly! Thank you!!!

Thank you so much!!!! Hand cream saved the day! My daughter has a stuffed lamb that is THE stuffed animal. Nothing can happen to this lamb.

it also works on socks! thank you

Thank you!!! I had a band aid stuck on the cushion of my new couch. I couldn't get it off. This worked! Thank you again!

Don't worry, this method using rubbing alcohol WILL work! Instead of panicking, just tell your child that their belived stuffed animal needs their special doctoring skills for their first surgery: a bandaid-ectomy! Try to make this a fun learning experience instead of a stressful one.

Don't worry, RUBBING ALCOHOL will fix this! Here are the supplies you'll need: 1) rubbing alcohol, 2) Q-tip, 3) small bowl, 4) flat-tipped tweezers, 5) color-safe work surface, like a tray.

NOTE: it is possible that alcohol will remove some color or cause it to bleed, so test first on a hidden section of material, and proceed slowly and with care. However, I have tested this on a number of plush toys in all different colors (including bright red), and not one had any damage or bleeding of color at all. Even if color does bleed a bit, the plush toy itself will not be damaged (unless a part of it is glued together - think glued-in plastic googly-eyes).

A BONUS: Alcohol dries/evaporates quickly, and the minimal odor of the alcohol will also dissipate quickly for a no-mess solution!

STEP 1

Pour a small amount (~1 tablespoon) of rubbing alcohol in a small bowl or cup. Using Q-tip, dip in alcohol and swab entire outer surface of bandage, especially the outer edges. Wait 10-15 seconds for alcohol to dissolve bandage adhesive.

STEP 2

Using flat-tipped tweezers (NOT point tweezers, which are more likely to accidentally grab material and damage it), gently scrape the edge of the bandage using just one end of the tweezers (in open position) until a small portion of the bandage is lifted. Then using both ends (in closed position), gently grab the bandage and slowly lift until the entire bandage is removed.

If bandage resists removal, or breaks into smaller pieces which remain stuck, reapply alcohol (STEP 1) and try again. Just be patient, this WILL work.

Alternative Method Without Tweezers: If you don't have tweezers, cut the bandage in half through the middle of the section with the absorbent pad (where there is no adhesive). This will give you a small place to grab the bandage with your fingers to lift it off.

Anonymous

Thank you for this tip it worked perfectly

Your Mom is brilliant! Thank you so much! My twenty month old granddaughter put a hello kitty band aid on her plush giraffe. She liked it for two weeks, she handed giraffe to me this morning and said band aid off. It ripped in two, the center came off, but the adhesive was stuck tight. Lubriderm did the trick! Thank you!

The hand cream worked well! Thank you.

Your mother is a genius! Day saved! Thank you!!