AdviceBudget & Finance

Can you live on less than £5 a day?

Can you live on less than £5 a day?

Nicola from England

Are you talking about food. Or bills and food. Or rent and bills and food. Also for how many people? You need to elaborate please to give folk an idea.

Yes living on less tan $5 a day is possible.

Transport to and from workplace: $3.20

Cost of packing lunch to work: $1.60

Total: $4.80

I manage to live on £50/60 a week average, all bills and food included, and that includes topping up my rent benefit by £10. So it is possible- just be smart food shopping and walk everywhere. Also shop arround for best deals on electric n stuff (if your £5 includes bills too)

WHAT ABOUT OTHER MEALS OR ARE YOU ONLY EATING LUNCH?

Sorry, Yes I meant I have bills covered, it's just food and other luxuries I have £5 for.

Hi Nicola.. We go to Scotland every year. (from Canada) we do eat on 5 a day. (we stay at a university, and cook most meals there) Every morning, after a good breakfast.. Oatmeal, a boiled egg and a piece of fruit, we WALK.(about 20 minutes) to Tesco. We eat lunch there. A wonderful baked potato!! Walk back home with our daily bread and milk and something for our supper. Some days we`re a little over 5, other days we are under. We like salad greens, and beans on toast. Whichever greens are on sale, and fresh. We buy an apple an orange a banana and make a little fruit salad. Fresh is good, and the bonus is ..it is healthy and with the walk, we usually come home 5-10 pounds lighter. Hope this helps. Don`t sacrifice your health. It isn`t worth it. xx Make sure you eat all of the food groups every day.

I don't know what the current exchange rate is, but it used to be $7 to 1 pound years ago. We live on about $500 per month for everything, and almost half goes to medical bills. We live well! Yesterday i bought 22 cups of yogurt and 20 of the new Cacao Reserve chocolate bars for coupons and tax. Do you have coupons from manufacturers and stores in the UK? I should qualify that our home is paid for, and we have elected to use a generator for power. If you want, e-mail me or answer me in this newsletter. I'd love to chat! My ancestors came from Nottinghamshire back in the 12th century, so I always have my "cuppa." jimnreenie at safelink.net.

It helps to buy a nice, slightly used bread machine at the thrift shop. That saves me about $5 a week. I thought the exchange rate was $1.80 or so to a pound.

Editor's Note: The current rate is about 1 pound to $2 U.S.