Browsing: Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

Homemade jewelry cleaners are a great way to keep your jewelry looking like new, without using expensive professional cleaning solutions. This is a guide about making homemade jewelery cleaners.

Photo of a diamond ring set.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 20, 2009 Flag

I was shopping for jewelry cleaner one day and a lady saw me and said "don't waste your money on that cleaner". She told me to use ammonia straight out of the bottle. (This costs $1.00 at the Dollar Store and lasts for years). I was amazed when I tried it.

I put ammonia and jewelry in a coffee cup for very short time, rinse, and rub with towel or soft cloth. I also use a toothbrush to get in the crevices. The shine is unbelievable. I haven't bought jewelry cleaner in years.

By Pmcbee from Jesup, GA

October 20, 2009 Flag

I am looking for a safe, homemade cleaner for cleaning diamond jewelry.

By Darlene from Castaic, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My neighbor who worked in a jewelry store told me to just use amonia. It works!

The baking soda may not scratch your diamond but will probably scratch the gold they're in. Ammonia and distilled water is the best I've used.

Whatever you do, don't use Stanley Foam Glass Cleaner on it! I sprayed a little foam on my ring while a took a shower and then rinsed it. The shine cam off my diamonds and one fell out! I totally ruined my anniversary band and it broke my heart.

My mother-in-law taught me to soak my diamond rings in ammonia, clean with a soft brush (an old, soft toothbrush would do), then rinse in alcohol to bring up the shine.

Read More Answers...

July 20, 2010 Flag

I have a silver necklace that I got from my husband the morning after our wedding. As a result of the use of perfume, body lotions, etc. the necklace now looks dirty. I'd love to let it shine again, but I want to avoid chemicals, as I always try to do when I am cleaning anything .

Can anyone share tips on a home made remedy for jewelery cleaning? Very much appreciated.

By Maviga from Co. Wicklow, Ireland

Try this: line a cereal bowl with tin foil and add 1 - 2 tablespoons baking soda. Place jewlery in baking soda and add boiling water to the rim of the bowl. Let cool, rinse off jewlery (use a bit of liquid soap if needed) and let air dry.

You can use tooth paste,brush and rince.Lemon based dish washing liquid,soak in warm water and dish washing liquid and rince.

I use the same polishing cloth that is used on silver dinnerware.

Use white toothpaste to clean your silver jewelry. Use Catsup to clean copper.

September 2, 2011 Flag

Is there a way to make homemade jewelry cleaner?

By Bambi from Landisville, PA

I uses 50/50 vinegar water with a drop of dish detergent. Watch the glues on constume jewellery. Gold and diamonds sparkle after being rinsed and dried with a soft cloth.

I've never bought jewelry cleaner. I don't own a lot of costume jewelry, just a few pieces of 14 carrot gold and sterling silver earrings and necklaces. I clean them with toothpaste and a toothbrush or mild liquid detergent.

January 9, 2006 Flag

<ul><li>3 cups ammonia
<li>1 cup water
<li>3 drops any dish soap
</ul>
<P>Soak jewelry for a few minutes then rinse well with water.

<P>Warning: Do Not Use with Pearls or costume jewelry.

<P>By imaqt1962 from Illinois

Editor's Note: If you want a smaller batch, cut the recipe down to 1 cup ammonia, 1/3 cup water, 1 drop dish soap.

July 20, 2010 Flag

How do I make jewelry cleaner?

By Dreeanna from NY

Answers:

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

I've always used plain old sudsy ammonia, or regular ammonia with a drop or 2 of dish soap added. Just soak your jewelry for half an hour or brush with an old toothbrush.

But someone told me that the easiest way to keep your diamond ring always looking like brand new is to brush your teeth, then with the toothpaste that's still on the brush, use this to brush your diamond with. It sounds gross, but it works!

* Never use ammonia, or anything harsh on opals! (11/01/2009)

By Cyinda

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

Mix the ammonia with an equal part of hydrogen peroxide. When you put the jewelry in the solution, you can see the dirt bubbling out. DO NOT use this for opals or pearls! (11/02/2009)

By Southern Saver

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

I make my own cleaner, using the recipe here ehow.com

(11/02/2009)

By libragramma

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

Soak in alcohol. It works, good luck. (11/02/2009)

By kffrmw88

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

This works especially well for silver jewelry. 1 cup white vinegar to 1-2 TBSP baking soda. Let soak for an hour or so and rub with soft cloth, I couldn't believe how nice it came out. (11/03/2009)

By Tamika Anny

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

My uncle is a jeweler and he always told me to use Pine Sol or any pine cleaner. Put your jewelery in a Dixie cup and fill with cleaner. Let sit for about 1/2 hour and use an old toothbrush to clean. This works terrific. I don't know if it works on silver jewelery though. (11/06/2009)

By MrsJim

August 20, 2009 Flag

After noticing my store bought jewelry cleaner smelled mostly like ammonia, I refilled the empty jar with half sudsy ammonia and half water and used that to clean my jewelry instead. Works as well as (if not better than) the store bought stuff.

By Tori

Answers:

Cheap Jewelry Cleaner

Worked in a jewelry store years back. At that time, we used sudsy ammonia, water and just a drop of dishwashing liquid to get jewels sparking clean. Watch out for opals, though. (04/14/2005)

By trouble's mother

Cleaning Jewelry

Use equal amounts of cold distilled water and ammonia in a container and soak your jewelry for 1/2 hour to clean it.

By Geri Taylor (05/26/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cheap Jewelry Cleaner

Pearls also must be treated a certain way, ask before you clean them as I don't know how. (05/27/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Cheap Jewelry Cleaner

Pearls must be cleaned very gently, otherwise you can remove the coating that makes them look good. The best way is simply wiping them with a soft clean cloth and a little water.

Opals can lose their color if they come in contact with hot water. Make sure to remove opal rings when you are bathing or doing dishes.

Treat both of these with great care.

(05/28/2005)

By Susan from ThriftyFun

Inexpensive Jewelry Cleaner

The reason your "pearls" lose their coating is they either are not pearls--pearls are solid nacre--or they are color treated to look like a more costly version. Real pearls feel grainy when you rub them on your teeth. Others feel slick.

Pearls, coral, amber and jet are organic gemstones, made by living things. Opal thinks it's organic, so be gentle to all these groups. Baby shampoo diluted is fine, but you do want to wash off make-up and sweat that can weaken stringing threads and have them glow. DO NOT PAY for washing your pearls when you have them restrung. Do it yourself. A soft facial brush will do. Photograph your pearls on a table before you go, and write a number beside each one to confirm the count. It's nickels and dimes that made eBay what it is today.

Otherwise, I find the best jewelry cleaner are the effervescent denture tablets, especially the "5-minute" kind. They are individually wrapped and work in any glass or small plastic cup or bowl. For traveling or getting dressed at the last minute, they can't be beat. Plop, plop. Fizz, fizz. Oooops, that's for heartburn. hahaha (08/28/2005)

By the Oracle

Cheap Jewelry Cleaner

Use equal amounts of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. The dirt and grime just bubbles out of the jewelry in mere seconds! (10/17/2005)

By Southern Saver

Cheap Jewelry Cleaner

One thing you can use to clean all your jewelry is toothpaste. It may be hard to believe but it's true, I read it from a newspaper article. I didn't believe it but I thought there's nothing bad out of trying, so I did. Toothpaste was strong enough to clean off the dirt and grime, but gentle enough not to damage anything. Toothpaste also helps with burns! (12/17/2007)

By Laurie.

Home and Garden Cleaning JewelryOctober 15, 2011
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe
Cleaning Jewelry
Cleaning Jewelry
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 1:13:02 AM on 10.0.0.143 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.