Dog Will Only Go Potty When Taken for a Walk

I just got a new fence so that I won't have to walk my dog all the time. He is a rescue, a longhaired male Dachshund. I adopted him half a year go. He used the bathroom within the fence a couple of times, however, he now refuses to go to the bathroom in the backyard at all. I even invited a neighbor's female dog to run in my yard, that did not make a difference.

What am I supposed to do? I work all day, coming home at lunch for an hour. I let him out out in the morning and at noon and walk him after work and he will do both then. I got the fence so that I won't have to walk him in the dark any longer. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

By Herta from Punta Gorda, FL

Your dog should eventually grow accustomed to the fence and not fear it. My daughter's dog continually barked at the new artificial floral arrangement added to the wishing well in our yard and one day she stopped barking at it and walked up to it w/o fear. I never thought by changing the arrangement she would give it that much attention, but she did. If I add one new feature to the landscape, our dogs will either growl at it or bark until they realize it's harmless.

Have you tried putting the dog's collar and leash on and taking him for a "walk" within the fenced yard? You could do this before work, and immediately after work and a couple of times more before bed. This would help him get accustomed to doing his business inside the fence and would probably only take a few days for him to get the message. After a couple of days, you could unhook the leash but keep it in your hand as if it was attached and walk with him. Probably only one or two walks like this after the few days with the leash attached and he should be enjoying the fence and doing his business there like you want him to.

I would try walking him, and when he does his "business" pick it up and put it in your backyard, preferably near the back corner where you would like him to be in the habit of going. Then, the next time, "walk" him on the leash, in the back yard, near the spot you want him to go, (where you deposited the poop), and hopefully he will get the idea. You may have to be very patient.

Dogs do not like to go potty where they "live". You should still take him for a walk, it's good exercise for both of you! My dog has a very long tie-out so he can be out with us during summer work time in the garden, but he won't even pee while tied. I found this out one time when he began to bark and was very agitated while tied and when I relented and was going to take him in the house, he went off and peed right away.

i have MS and cannott walk my shnorkie on a leash all day to go pee or potty. so we put up a fence , he will not go into to fence unless he is leashed i have tried wlaking him in the fence with the leash inside the fence but now he wont even do that. i dont know what to do. he will wait till my husband gets home to go on his evening walk to do his business. im really worried. help

Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 21, 2011
Young beagle walking on a leash.
Walking Your Dog
Dog In His Own Bed
Dog Pooping In His Own Bed
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Cat attached to a leash.
Training Your Cat to Walk on a Leash