Penne with Sausage and Broccoli

This recipe is quick and easy; and spicy!

• 1/2 lb. spicy/hot Italian sausage, sliced in to bite size pieces (can be substituted with Mexican chorizo in a pinch)
  • Ad
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tsp. garlic, minced
  • 8 oz. uncooked penne pasta
  • 1/2 lb. broccoli florets, cut in to bite size pieces
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for garnish

If there is skin on the sausage, remove it and fry sausage in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, drain, remove, and set aside keeping it warm.

Cook the garlic in olive oil in same skillet until golden.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions but add the broccoli three minutes before the end of the cooking time. Drain broccoli with the pasta.

Toss the sausage, olive oil, garlic, penne, broccoli, and Parmesan in a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with Parmesan set aside for garnish, then the red pepper flakes and serve.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I made this for dinner last night and I gotta tell you it's pretty darn good! I used mild Italian sausage and we all loved it! I made a double batch so I could bring for lunch at work today. Thanks for posting!

Thank you for commenting, Mary Moo, and I am so glad you and your family enjoyed it so much!

Deeli :-)

Food and Recipes Recipes PastasJune 1, 2010
Two heads of broccoli.
Saving Money on Broccoli
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Frozen broccoli pieces on a plate.
Freezing Broccoli
Growing Broccoli, Storing Broccoli, Canning Broccoli
Growing Broccoli