How Do I Streak My Hair?

I have brown hair; I want to have white streaks. How can I do this?

By Kim from Tupelo, MS

You can buy different kits to do this.

Do not attempt at home . Go to a hairstylist. I am a hairstylist and have to fix so many do it yourself colors. Then they end up paying more than double considering what they have paid for the misleading home color and get ting it fixed. There is no product you can buy without a license even at sallys to lift hair to a white stage. It will end up brassy, yellow or fried. Please consult a professional.

There are kits at the drug store where the home hair color products are sold. They are easy to use, and safe , if you follow the directions. I don't know if you would be able to get white streaks, but I think nice blond ones would be more attractive anyway, like sun-streaks in your hair. However, if you have no experience with hair dye, you may want to go to a salon first, and have it done professionally. It is not hard to streak your own hair, but it is good to have a friend to help as you have to pull pieces of hair through holes in a plastic cap. This can get tiring. I used to get my teenage son to help me; he had a lot of experience dying his own hair green and blue and pink!! ha ha He was a skateboarder.

I recommend having this professionally done as doing this at home is very time consuming and risky. No hair color will make white streaks, but they may lighten streaks to blonde. I have owned my own salon for over 20 years, and every spring through fall (when everyone wants the streaks/highlights) spend most of my time fixing these. Fixing them can also be very damaging to the hair and dry it out.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringFebruary 23, 2011
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄