Worms Eating Tomatoes

What are those short, fat, gray worms eating my tomatoes? How do I get rid of them?

By kjdaly from Ferndale, MI

The white worm you are talking about are called Grubs. I'm not sure how to get rid of them, but at least now you have the name to start researching.

Pick them off & mash them with your shoe & spray them with malathion, you can get it from Lowe's or garden center. It's good to keep almost all insects out of a veggie garden & flowers, good luck.

July 23, 2009 Flag

We seem to have a worm that has decided it likes our tomatoes. What can I use to get rid of it? It's eating too many! I can't do anything poisonous because I have dogs in my yard. Help please.

Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Worms Eating Tomatoes

I guess you're talking about those big ugly tomato worms. The way we get them off is to just pick them off, or at least my husband does. I'm not going to touch them! (08/05/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Worms Eating Tomatoes

Next year when planting your tomato plants, place a piece of cardboard around the base of the plant, like half of a toilet paper roll. The horn worms won't get on the plant. (08/05/2008)

By Tammie

Worms Eating Tomatoes

I agree with Glenn's Mom. You apparently have those big green tomato horn worms. The best way to deal with them is the old Size 7 Stomp. If you're too squeamish for that, just knock the worm off into a plastic baggie containing a cotton ball soaked in nail polish remover. Close the bag and dispose of in the garbage can. The polish remover kills the worm and you never have to touch it.

After you are sure that you have removed all of the horn worms from the plant (look closely, they like to hide) place ground up eggshells around the base of the plant. Make sure the shells completely cover the ground, mulch, whatever for about two inches out from the stem. Worms that may be hiding in the mulch or on other plants will not crawl across the shells to get to the stem of your tomato plants. Good Luck!
Iggits (08/05/2008)

By readingiggits

Worms Eating Tomatoes

Put a 16 penny nail along side of your tomato plant when planting and you won't have any worms.
J.B. (08/06/2008)

By Grandma Bess

Worms Eating Tomatoes

I have tried to remove the worms, but they cling so tight, it's hard to get them to turn loose! They have damaged the stem that they are on anyway, so what I do is just snap the stem loose, worm and all, and then do the ole number 7 stomp! Sure makes a nasty sound when you squish them, though. Ugh! (08/06/2008)

By Anonymous

Worms Eating Tomatoes

Make sure you kill these worms. Sometimes when you think you have stomped them they will crawl back on the tomato plants to do further damage. Check closely, as they can completely destroy a plant in a few hours.
(08/06/2008)

By jsham

Worms Eating Tomatoes

If you should find a tomato horn worm with, what looks like grains of rice attached to it, leave it alone. These are larvae left by its natural enemy, a braconid wasp. The larvae feed off the worm and produce more of this beneficial natural horn worm enemy. A horn worm with these larvae attached won't do anymore harm to your plant as it will be dead. (08/07/2008)

By Mary Moo

Worms Eating Tomatoes

Robin - This is not for the squeamish - like those who won't even touch a bug! Hand pick a bunch of the offending pests, toss them in a blender with water, blend, strain and then spray on any affected plants. This works with just about any bug and affected plant. (Best to have a blender for just the garden!) Good Luck (08/07/2008)

By lavenderdeer

growing tomatoes
Worms Eating Tomatoes
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJuly 23, 2009
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Chipmunks Eating My Tomatoes
Chipmunks Eating Tomatoes
🎄
🍂