How To Kill Mold

My pipes were leaking under my sink and I didn't know for a long time. How do I get the mold off the wall and shelving under my sink so it doesn't get on my pots and pans or infect my son and small pets?

By Jbird from Spartanburg, SC

June 27, 20100 found this helpful

I hve used bleach and vinegar both to kill off the mold. Go to the hardstore store like Lowe's and get the bleach it better its in with the cleaners.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 28, 20100 found this helpful

Paint over it with Kilz. It kills any mold you have & prevents it from spreading. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 29, 20100 found this helpful

I had to use a 50/50 mix of Bleach to kill ours. I also bought a mask to wear to protect my lungs cause it was a big area. The mask was a N95 and I got it at our Walgreens Pharmacy for like $5.

Being it is wood, you may need to replace it because like others have said, it's porous. But until you get it replaced, bleaching would be the cheapest if you cannot afford the other products out on the market. Just make sure you cover the area really good and let it sit. I let mine sit for 24 hours before wiping it down.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 28, 20160 found this helpful

DONT use previous comments. Red cross says use 50/50 white vinegar and water only!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 29, 20100 found this helpful

Use white vinegar. Spray on wipe off then spray on again and leave. Or you can just sppray on and leave. Will not harm children or pets.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 29, 20100 found this helpful

Just a point, don't mix the bleach with the vinegar. Use one or the other. Bleach will kill mold more effectively as it is used for that purpose. That is why we have chlorine in the water, to kill micro-organisms.

It might be a good idea to paint over it with this Kilz as well, but only after you have cleaned with bleach.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 4, 20100 found this helpful

Spray hydrogen peroxide on the molded wood. The mold should be gone overnight. You can get a small spray bottle of it at your drug store rather cheap. This is a good cleaner, as well. We use it instead of bleach for a lot of things.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 26, 2010 Flag
0 found this helpful

I bought a used camper and found mold and soft wood in the back of a cupboard that apparently had water leaking into it. What can we mix up (or buy) to kill the mold and prevent it from coming back? We hope we have stopped the leak. We don't want to just "clean" it, we want to kill the mold. Thanks.

Louise from IL


How To Kill Mold

You need some type of fungicidal cleaner. Chlorine bleach comes to mind first and is very effective, but of course can bleach color and can cause rot problems as well in some materials. There are also commercial products (check Lowe's or Home Depot).

However, to be honest, wood is porous and you may not truly be able to get rid of the mold. Your best option may be to remove the old wood and replace it with new wood. (04/16/2008)

By DownSouth

How To Kill Mold

Try Odoban that is the correct spelling of product sold in Sam's probably and other places. Germicide kills odors, bacteria, mold, and mildew. Will have to dry for several days.

You maybe able to paint the area using a blocking primer and a good quality paint. Check with local paint supplier they can tell you if it can be saved and a safe way to do it. (04/16/2008)

By Patti R

How To Kill Mold

When it rains, my garage gets 2+ inches of water which wicks up the wall board. Bleach didn't do that great a job, so I bought Krud Kutter at Lowe's for $11.47 a gallon. Sprayed the area and the mold was gone in 2 days! I made sure the area was "dripping wet" and it was absorbed into the wall board killing the mold. I now repeat this about every 3-4 months after several "floods" in my garage. Also, I use it in laundry for those really dirty clothes (grass stains from week whacking), soiled dog beds, stains on counter tops,and soot off painted walls from ionizer that "burped" with no damage to the paint. The only place you can't use it is on finished wood, it will take it down to the bare, unfinished wood. (04/16/2008)

By JoanDogs

RE: How To Kill Mold

How To Kill Mold


Home Depot sells a product called "Concrobium" very low odor a friend just told me about it yesterday.

I previously suggested Odoban, but it smells like high power Pine Sol.

Patti (04/18/2008)

By Patti R

How To Kill Mold

My son works for an insurance company and investigates for fraud. He had attended a course and was told that once mold has appeared, you will never be able to get rid of it. Whatever you use on it will only make it invisible. You have to replace the area where mold is. (11/30/2008)

By Glenda

How To Kill Mold

You can put bleach in a spray bottle (from Dollar store), spray the mold every day till it's gone, it works. Good luck. (02/27/2009)

By k w

Comment On This PostWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In This Article
Blue gloved hand cleaning mold on shower walls with a toothbrush.
Homemade Mold and Mildew Surface Cleaner Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning MoldJune 26, 2010
Balack mokd on the wall.
Getting Rid of Black Mold
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
New Years Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 3, 2016 at 12:20:06 PM on in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!