White Substance On Grapevines

Can anyone tell me what this white substance is on our grape vine? It's a thick liquid that's running down and collecting on the stems of the grapes.

Betty from NC

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I can't remember the name of them, but I "think" they are those little beetles that leave this "spit" style foamy substance behind. If I am right, they are considered one of the top 10 slimiest critters on earth. If I am right, can someone identify it?

Those are what we call spit bugs here, we just hose them off and use some diluted dish soap to spray on the plant. Those weird little bugs are everywhere here!

The best thing to do is to contact your local county extension office, if you can't find out. They have helped us in the past with our apple trees and grapevines. It seems like we are always dealing with some kind of pest eating our fruit or trying to destroy it. Our office is listed in the phone book in the county government section as "cooperative extension agent. I hope you find out what it is. Good Luck!

Yuck! That sounds gross but you might be right. I found a leaf yesterday that was rolled up and when I unrolled it, a big bug of some sort scooted off before I could get a look at him.

The gunk looks kind of like the grapevine is weeping and I was wondering if there is some type of insect inside the stem. I took the hose and hosed off the spots where it was and it has not reappeared...yet.

Answer

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceAugust 28, 2008
A girl breaking a cigarette in half.
How Long Does Nicotine Remain in the Bloodstream?
Cleaning Tree Sap Off Hands
Cleaning Tree Sap Off Hands
Woman with White Hair
Caring for White Hair
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 17, 2016 at 12:00:04 AM on 10.0.1.38 in 413 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.