Preparing Strawberries for Storage

When I buy ripe strawberries that are in the plastic clam shell type packaging, I look through it and remove any bruised berries. I fold a paper towel and put it on top of the berries. I flip the container over so it is upside down, and refrigerate. The berries usually last up to a week or more. The key is to keep the berries as dry as possible. This also applies to all produce.

By mkymlp from NE PA

It's kind of funny you posted this because I just did that very thing. My husband brought home a 2 lb plastic pakage of beautiful strawberries from Sam's Club. I never buy that many at once and wondered if we'd be able to use them up quick enough. Only 2 of us eat them. The key of course is refrigerating them as left out, they will mold very quickly. Also, do not wash them first. I just left in the original packaging as it had some holes but added a folded piece of paper towels. I think we may be able to eat them all before they go bad.