Low Sudsing Laundry Detergent Recipe

I need a recipe for low suds laundry detergent. Thank you.

By Lola from Bartlesville, OK

Any recipe you find online to make homemade laundry detergent (soap, really) is low sudsing. Some people irrationally think that it doesn't clean well if there aren't suds, but most of us that use it know better. I've used the liquid recipe for years with no problems. Happy washing!

This recipe was on Thrifty Fun and I really like it. I use a cleaned out milk jug and write the recipe on the side with a Sharpie so I don't have to look it up when it's time to make more.

4 Tablespoons Washing Soda

2 Tablespoons Borax

1 oz. liquid Castile Soap

Water to fill

The water must be hot or the soda and/or Borax will not dissolve.

As was also suggested on Thrifty Fun, put Borax in your rinse water and your clothes will smell great. It's true. They don't have a perfume smell, but they smell very fresh.

I make my fabric softener (also from Thrifty Fun!) with one cup inexpensive hair conditioner and water to make a gallon. Now I add a little Borax to that too.

I use a full cup of detergent and fabric softener per load. It's still way more thrifty than using 1/4 cup of the expensive stuff.

Mix together 1 cup of grated Fels Naptha Soap, 1/2 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup of Washing Soda. After you purchase your Fels Naptha Soap, remove the wrappers from the soap and let the soap dry out for a few days/week. This will allow you to grate the soap easily; otherwise, the soap will be too soft to grate. I have been using this laundry detergent recipe for about a year now and just love it. Clothes come clean but there is no suds and you save money. If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients, you might check your local hardware store. Also, you can purchase these ingredients on line at Soaps Gone Buy but, of course, you have to pay shipping costs.

Hope you like using this recipe!

I use almost the same recipe for detergent as the others but use Dove bar soap, grated, and add 1 cup baking soda to the dry ingredients.

I also make fabric softener using 1 cup baking soda, 6 cups distilled vinegar, 8 cups water. Add ingredients SLOWLY to a gallon container as the vinegar and soda will fizz up. I have used plain vinegar also but like adding more baking soda to my laundry and helps more with static if that is an issue.

A helpful hint is to use Ivory bar soap when making this recipe. You can put the soap in the microwave (that's right...the microwave!) and watch it expand. Then place the expanded soap in a pot of boiling water and dissolve it. There is no grating which is a big plus since I hated grating my soap! Not to mention if you have kids, they love to watch the soap expand and it will not hurt your microwave one bit! Happy laundry soap making!