Planting Amaryllis Outdoors

Q: Has anyone planted Amaryllis outdoors? When and how should I plant mine? I've heard of them being put outside but don't know how deep to plant them and if they can be left outside permanently.

Vicky from Jacksonville, NC

A: Vicky,

Amaryllis is hardy to zone 7b and can be left outdoors year-round as long as it is given adequate mulch in the fall and winter months. Plant new bulbs in the ground in late September or early October and you'll see flowers in the spring. Bulbs should be planted about 1 ft. apart and just deep enough so that the tips ("noses") stick above the ground. The soil should be nutrient-rich and well drained. The site should receive plenty of sun with some afternoon shade. Use a low nitrogen fertilizer and make the first fertilizer application as new growth begins, then repeat the application when the flower stalk is 6 to 8 inches tall. Apply a third application immediately after flowering when the spent flower heads and old flower stems have been removed.

You can plant amaryllis left over from the holidays in the spring. Plant bulbs them directly in the ground, pots and all, after first acclimatizing them to the bright outdoor light. Make sure the pots are well drained.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I also live near J'ville, NC, and I have amaryllis in my yard that I transplanted from my grandmother's yard. I transplanted them last spring, which is late, so they didn't bloom. They did, however, come up and grow nicely. I planted mine with the top of the bulb just at ground level. I am not a gardening expert, I just did what my grandmother told me. I do know they like sun. My grandmother has had amaryllis for years in her flowerbed up next to her house (which may protect them from harsh cold), and they keep coming back year after year. They need to be thinned out when they start reproducing. Good luck.

I HAVE 5 AMARYLLIS PLANNTED OUT SIDE . THEY DO JUST FINE HERE IN ALABAMA. PLANT THEM IN SPRING . PLANT JUST DEEP ENOUGH TO COVER THE ROOT BALL . PLANT IN FULL SUN OR VERY LITTLE SHADE . IF YOU GET SNOW WHERE YOU ARE AT YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER MULCHING AROUND THEM VERY WELL IN THE WINTER MONTHS . OR PLANT THEM IN A BIG POT AND SIT THEM OUTSIDE IN THE SPRING AND BRING THEM IN IN THE WINTER .

Tops of bulb part needs to be above soil.

We are in Lexington, NC, and have had amarylis that were transplanted from San Diego in our yard for about 5 years. The blooming is not as prolific as it was in CA, but we do have nice blooms. The bulbs that are planted near the sides of the house do the best, but the ones near the street are still alive, and had more blooms that the previous year.

we planted them about 6 inches deep, from the tops of the bulbs. We haven't done any special mulching etc, and we do have snow most winters, (this year has been the exception)

I haven't been able to determine when to cut the leaves of the amaryllis bulbs outdoors, as I know they produce food for next year's flowers. Does anybody know? I know you cut the flowers after they bloom about 2" above the base. I'm in zone 7. Also, what do you do for grasshoppers eating on them? What is good for brownish spots on the leaves and aphids? Thanks, please help. cmbca5m

I need to know WHEN do you trim off the amaryllis leaves if the amaryllis bulb is left in the ground year round, as mine are. I have been letting them turn completely yellow & letting them fall off naturally, but it is pretty unsightly where I have them planted. I know you cut an amaryllis flower stalk off about two inches from the bottom when you want to put it in a vase, but what about just the flower leaves -- do you have to wait until they wilt & turn yellow before removing them. I'm in zone 7. thanks. Does anybody know?

Home and Garden Gardening BulbsJanuary 24, 2006
Growing Amaryllis, Red amaryllis blooms.
Growing Amaryllis
Fly on Blade of Grass
Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors
Growing carrots and other vegetables.
Planting Vegetables Together
Amaryllis
Transplanting Amaryllis
🎄