Browsing: Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees

Squirrels can be really adorable, except when they are decimating your fruit trees. Stopping the squirrels from eating the fruit on your trees will help ensure a good harvest. This is a guide about keeping squirrels out if fruit trees.

Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 8, 2016 Flag

Does anyone know how to keep squirrels from eating the fruit off the peach and plum trees?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I FOUND A FOUR INCH FOUR FOOT HOT WATER VENT PIPE WORKED BEAUTIFUL. SIMPLY PUT PIPE ON TREE, SNAP CLOSED SQUIRRELS CANNOT GET A GRIP ON THE SMOOTH PIPE. FUN TO WATCH THEM SLIDE DOWN.

Just out arround the tree in the ground human heir you get in a beuti salón the quierrels dont like it AND stay away from the tree

Read More Answers...

June 18, 2016 Flag

We live in Greenville, in southeast Missouri. Any safe easy suggestions on stopping squirrels or raccoons from eating our peaches? I am not sure which creatures are eating them. We absolutely do not want to harm them! They are eating the peaches before they get ripe. Again is there a safe way to stop them? It is starting to get a bit frustrating! Thank you.

Birds and people, as well as raccoons and squirrels, love peaches. You can try wrapping the trees in mesh fabric, repetitive loud sounds, lights, etc...

Good Luck!!!

May 18, 2012 Flag

I have an apricot tree that generally yields well. This year, there are dozens due to mild winter weather in northest Ohio. The tree is one of those varietals with an alleged, edible pit. In the past five years, we have yet to taste a ripe apricot. The problem, fox and gray squirels during the day and a mystery critter during the night, probably raccoons or flying squirrels. I have tried hot pepper spray, netting and don't think they would be afraid of an owl decoy after a couple of days. The one I placed to scare away the English sparrows has become a perch.

Short of ordinance which is certainly an option and perhaps a diabolical treat for me at this point, does anyone have any suggestions to: 1) Allow a reasonabie harvest of fresh apricots on my part and 2) allow another/ other species to share a few of these tasty fruits?

By Grumpy gardener

Squirrel eating my pears

We have Squirrels or Raccoons eating our Peaches! Any safe easy solutions to stop them?

Read More Answers...

August 24, 2011 Flag

I just landscaped my backyard and added about 5 fruit trees. First I noticed all the pomegranate blossoms and one small fruit on the ground one morning. Then I was admiring the Asian pear on my tree and the next day it was gone. There was a slight hole under the tree like it was dug away. Lots of gardenia blossoms were also on the ground, but those may be from overwatering.

I do have squirrels visiting my yard cause I feed the birds and they try to get at that food. Any good ways to keep my fruit away from them? I spent a lot of time and money on the yard and was looking forward to the fruit.

By Barb

Does it effect the taste of the peaches? I have a fig tree so I'm wondering if the hot sauce would effect the taste even if I were to wash them.

My in laws have a peach tree that the squirls enjoy the fruitage more than they can. What can help?

Read More Answers...

August 12, 2013 Flag

This was my solution after every single apple disappeared last year. I go out several times a day and eyeball a count of ALL of the apples and they ALL seem to still be there.

I bought a fine mesh roll of deer cloth in July, about 36 inches x 50 feet and wrapped it around my Honeycrisp apple tree. I am going to have apple pie IN A MONTH! (8/8/13)

• 50 ft deer cloth net
  • 12 ft pipe or pole
  • 40 in twist ties
  • 2 yd rope
  • 6 yd Top Hat lattice or 6 at 1/2 inch x 8 foot plastic pipes

The plastic pipes could be joined in the center of each to form a disc to extend and support net somewhat away from the branches.

1. First, I had help. We took a plastic pipe, about 3 inch diameter, and tied it vertically to the trunk of the tree. It is about 2 feet taller than the top branch.
  2. After encircling the 10 foot tree, starting at the top, several times, I tied where the wrapped deer cloth overlapped in many places, using twist ties from the produce department in the grocery store.
  3. I took the loose net that was next to the ground and tied all of it up to the trunk at the bottom of the trunk, using a piece of plastic rope.
  4. After the apples started weighing on the netting, I sorta crawled up and in and attached a leftover piece of plastic lattice fence horizontally on the tip top of the pipe to create a "hat" to hold the net away from the branches. I should have put in 2 or 3 to make an X. Next year.

July 12, 2013 Flag

Squirrels ate every pear from my tree a few years ago. They start early in the season, well before the fruit ripens. The next year as soon as I noticed the fruit being eaten, I wrapped the tree with enormous sheets of clear plastic that I bought in the paint department sold as dropcloths. I bought 3 of the cheapest, biggest ones, spent less than $10. Then with the help of my son and a ladder, I wrapped the tree with the plastic, pinning it to branches and to itself with clothespins. My tree is about 10 years old and about 15 feet high.

The wrap job is nowhere near perfect but it works nevertheless. I concentrate on covering the branches with the most fruit. Some branches are too high so I don't get those covered. I loosely closepin the gaps between the sheets and I pin the plastic to the lower branches and close to the trunk.

In my yard, the squirrels jump from other trees onto the pear tree as well as approach from below. Even though the plastic is rather thin, the wrap job stays intact for the season. Windy days pop a clothepin or two off so I repair it, if necessary. The fruit seem to ripen just fine. Hooray! I save the plastic for next year. I have done this 3 years in a row with very good results.

April 1, 2013 Flag

I will be trying this in about a month. My friends in MA had very good luck last year with a small vegetable patch in their back yard. It took a few tweaks to the volts to not kill the birds.

July 5, 2014 Flag

I have a fruit tree want to keep squirrels from eating. Can I hang moth balls to deter them? Will my fruit taste like moth balls over time?

By maryc.

We have an apple tree the squirrels have eaten all the apples. We have tried mother balls but that doesn't work anymore ideas would be appreciated!

July 25, 2010 Flag

How do you keep squirrels out of nut and fruit trees?

By Sarah from MS

Adjustable animal shield

July 5, 2013 Flag

We have birds and squirrels visit our cherry tree. In order to have any cherries ourselves, I take old CDs, tie one end of a string through the center hole, and tie the other end on the tip of a tree branch.

July 25, 2010 Flag

Can I use hot sauce to protect a peach tree from squirrels?

April 24, 2010 Flag

I have tried owls, snakes, moth balls and spray. None worked for more than a day. Tried the plastic cone around the trunk and they jumped to the top edge and crawled up anyway.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksNovember 1, 2011
Black Walnut Tree
Keeping Squirrels Off Of Walnut Trees
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 12:58:49 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.