A Spoonful of Sugar for Hiccup Relief

Just a spoonful of sugar helps the HICCUPS go away. It really works. As soon as one of the grand kids here gets a bad case of hiccups they come with a spoon. A small spoonful of sugar later, hiccups are gone! Has worked every time for us!

By Barbara from Sturgeon Bay WI

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Another remedy is to take a lemon slice and top it with a good amount of sugar, and sprinklle with worchestershire sauce! lol It actually doesn't taste as bad as it sounds!

The sugar remedy I learned YEARS ago and it's helped tremendously. I can't have a big bulk of sugar like that anymore, but use it for kids, they love the crunch and the "magic" I use!

A spoonful of peanut butter also works!

Hugs & Happiness~~~ Paula :o)

I get hiccups often, and they will not go away on their own. I've tried every remedy known. As for the spoonful of sugar..I hiccuped as I was swallowing it and the sugar went down the wrong way, and I almost choked. It did get rid of the hiccups, but the cure was worse than the ailment. LOL! However, the spoonful of peanut butter never fails me. I have a small jar in the pantry "for medicinal purposes" only. I've threatened to break my hubby's fingers if he touches it!! I guess he believes me because he leaves it alone, even if we're out of regular peanut butter, which he loves. LOL!

Margaret from Denton, Texas

I was surprised when someone showed this trick to me! ...I think it works because it has something to do with the way you suck so hard on the sugar... But it DOES taste nasty! (at least to me, but not to kids!) Anyway... if your teeth are not shot, & you just can NOT seem to rid yourselves of hiccups, this trick DOES work, & it works each & every time! Plus, it's much better than being scared!

I'm so tickled to see this tip! A spoonful of sugar was my Grandma's remedy 60 years ago. It sounds disgusting, but it really works!

I have been using this spoonful of sugar remedy for hiccups for a number of years and swear by it as it has never failed me.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Man Covering His Mouth During a Hiccup
Remedies for Hiccups
Health & Beauty Home RemediesDecember 12, 2008
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 14, 2016 at 9:34:42 AM on 10.0.0.207 in 791 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.