Storing or Canning Homemade Hot Sauce

I recently made a hot sauce using lime juice (no vinegar) as the acid base. It also has cooked and pureed carrot, onion, garlic, and harbanero peppers, plus spices.

I have two questions: #1 Once it steeped and was later opened I've since stored in the fridge. Will this sauce keep as long as a vinegar based, refrigerated hot sauce?

#2 If I decide to can a batch, is the water bath method okay or should I use a pressure cooker? It was delicious, by the way. I just want to know the best way to preserve it! Thanks.

By Cindy from KS

I would say use the pressure cooker as it is hard to say the acidity level. Better safe than sorry. It sounds fabulous, could you share the recipe? :)

This site may help answer your question. ... _00_salsa-recipe_for_canning2009.pdf

Also put "Canning salsa made with lime juice" in your brower. Some more sites that may help.

Thanks for the responses, Merlene and Cindy in Texas - and yes I would be happy to share the recipe. (Link below.) In this link, the recipe I was asking about it titled "Essential Harbanero Hot Sauce." It is hot, hot, hot, but oh so lovely if you crave the heat. (In this recipe it gives the option to strain or not for a thinner/smoother sauce, but I chose not to strain.)

I also made a pint of the first recipe listed, "Island Seasonings" and it is delicious, too. It's basically a flavored vinegar, but we have loved it over cabbage, brussel sprouts, and salad greens, so far, and still experimenting.

I'll check out the suggested web site before we replant our garden, next spring and will follow that sage advice, "better safe than sorry" if I can't find a specific answer to the canning question. Thanks again to both of you. Here's the recipe link:

It is easiest to use a recipe from a reliable source on cannng. Carrots have to be pressure canned unless they are pickled with the right amount of vinegar or citrus juice. Fresh limes might not have the proper level of acid. It's safest to use bottled lime juice, acidity level 5%. Also, I'm not sure that pureed carrots are safe to can. Some foods, when pureed, are dense enough it is feared they might not get to the right temperature. It depends on how much you thin that puree down.

I have canned hot sauce, delicious, wonderful hot sauce, in the water bath canner. It's pureed, but thinned down (not strained - that just cuts your yield down). I love lime, so I used bottled juice. I thought it would be subtandard, but it's actually pretty good.

There are a lot of good canning sources out there. One of the best is the Ball Guide to canning, Ball being a brand name.

Bottle of red hot sauce.
Homemade Chili Hot Sauce Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceNovember 28, 2010
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chili Sauce
Chili Sauce Recipes
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears