Chili Sauce Recipes

Category Sauces
Chili Sauce
Make your own delicious chili sauce to use in recipes and as a condiment. It is easy to do and you can adjust the recipe to suit your tastes. This page contains chili sauce recipes.

Ingredients

• 12 large tomatoes
  • 2 large green pepper
  • 2 large onions
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions

Can be used uncooked as salsa. Chop tomatoes, peppers, and onions fine. Cook until desired thickness (I cook this 1 1/2 hours, slowly). Makes 2-3 pints.

By Robin from Washington, IA

This page contains homemade hot sauce recipes. Making your own hot sauce allows you to tailor it to your individual preferences. You can choose your favorite pepper to use, and control the amount of sugar, vinegar, and other spices.

Bottle of red hot sauce.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains garlic chili sauce recipes. Making your own garlic chili sauce allows you to adjust the sweet and spicy levels of this tasty condiment.

Garlic Chilli Sauce

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

• 8 quarts fresh tomatoes, peeled
  • 3 cups green peppers, chopped fine
  • 3 cups onions, chopped fine
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup salt
  • Ad

• 1 1/2 quarts vinegar
  • 3 tsp. cloves
  • 2 tsp. ginger
  • 2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 3 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Combine all ingredients and simmer for 3 hours in a large kettle. Pour into sterilized jars with tight lids.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 2 green bell peppers, chopped
  • 2/3 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 cups chili sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
  • few dashes hot pepper sauce or ground cayenne pepper (to your taste)

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Makes 3 cups of hot dog sauce, enough to serve with 3 pounds of hot dogs.

By Connie from AR

Does anyone have a recipe for a quick chili sauce? Whenever I search the web, I get recipes for chili and other sauces but not chili sauce. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Mike from PA

This is not so much an answer as it is a refinement of your internet search. Plug the following into google and it should improve your search results.

recipe +"chili sauce"

You may have some success just by adding some horseradish to catsup.

Mike, I don't know whether this is what you are looking for but I love sharing my Moms recipe. Even if it is not what you are looking for it is delicious. We like it for breakfast sandwitches in all recipes that call for chili sauce.

CHILI SAUCE

1/2 gallon chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)

1 onion cut fine

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup cider vinegar

2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. cloves

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

cayenne pepper to taste

1 green pepper chopped fine

1/2 cup red sweet bell pepper chopped fine

4 ribs celery chopped fine

I do not use the food processor to do the chopping. I have a mandolin chopper and this seems to work better or chop by hand. Processor mushes the ingredients too much.

Place all ingredients together and cook slowly on top the stove or in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hrs., stirring freguently until it thickens. This can be processed by water bath method for 5 minutes after water starts to boil.

My Grandmothers recipe and is the best::

1 peck tomatoes chopped

1 bunch celery chopped

6 onions chopped

3 green peppers chopped I add 1 hot pepper chopped

1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon whole mustard seed

1 teaspoon cloves(ground not whole cloves)

1 scant cup of salt

Mix all together and let stand overnite drain in morning, Make syrup

2 and1/2 cups vinegar(brown)

2 pounds brown sugar

Bring to a boil turn heat down and add drained mixture Let simmer until all is hot then put in canning jars. You could probably pressure can this or water bath but it should seal w/o doing this.. Good Luck this is the best chilli sauce and only one I ever make.

I needed some red pepper sauce and didn't have any on hand (not sure if that's what you're talking about) and so I used white distilled vinegar and cayenne pepper to make it.

I've had the same problem. All my searches came up with a chile sauce that was an 'accompaniment' to meat. Both my parents and grandparents made these, and while they are good, they were not what I wanted. Another was a mexican style sauce. What I actually wanted was a good tomato based sauce to can, that I later could mix with browned ground beef and a can of beans to make a quick chili. I've learned that the term 'chili sauce' means different things in different parts of the country and to different ethnicities. I finally found a mix that I put into home-grown pureed tomatoes to can, that worked well for me.

1 lb Ground beef, 1large onion..brown till almost done. mix in 1 6 oz. can tomato paste and fill that can 3 times with water. Add 1 Tbl. spn of Chilli powder, salt to taste and spaghetti spices and stir. Add 1 can Red Kidney beans(even the juice) and cook till beans are warm. This mixture will be thick. Serve over Rice or any type of pasta except long spaghetti type. I use either cork screw or elbows. My mom always cooked a large pot(doubled the receipe) and had it over rice first and then mixed with the pasta the second time. We loved it

I recently made a hot sauce using lime juice (no vinegar) as the acid base. It also has cooked and pureed carrot, onion, garlic, and harbanero peppers, plus spices.

I have two questions: #1 Once it steeped and was later opened I've since stored in the fridge. Will this sauce keep as long as a vinegar based, refrigerated hot sauce?

#2 If I decide to can a batch, is the water bath method okay or should I use a pressure cooker? It was delicious, by the way. I just want to know the best way to preserve it! Thanks.

By Cindy from KS

I would say use the pressure cooker as it is hard to say the acidity level. Better safe than sorry. It sounds fabulous, could you share the recipe? :)

This site may help answer your question.

http://extensio  _canning2009.pdf

Also put "Canning salsa made with lime juice" in your brower. Some more sites that may help.

Thanks for the responses, Merlene and Cindy in Texas - and yes I would be happy to share the recipe. (Link below.) In this link, the recipe I was asking about it titled "Essential Harbanero Hot Sauce." It is hot, hot, hot, but oh so lovely if you crave the heat. (In this recipe it gives the option to strain or not for a thinner/smoother sauce, but I chose not to strain.)

I also made a pint of the first recipe listed, "Island Seasonings" and it is delicious, too. It's basically a flavored vinegar, but we have loved it over cabbage, brussel sprouts, and salad greens, so far, and still experimenting.

I'll check out the suggested web site before we replant our garden, next spring and will follow that sage advice, "better safe than sorry" if I can't find a specific answer to the canning question. Thanks again to both of you. Here's the recipe link:

http://www.seas  com/recipe13.htm

It is easiest to use a recipe from a reliable source on cannng. Carrots have to be pressure canned unless they are pickled with the right amount of vinegar or citrus juice. Fresh limes might not have the proper level of acid. It's safest to use bottled lime juice, acidity level 5%. Also, I'm not sure that pureed carrots are safe to can. Some foods, when pureed, are dense enough it is feared they might not get to the right temperature. It depends on how much you thin that puree down.

I have canned hot sauce, delicious, wonderful hot sauce, in the water bath canner. It's pureed, but thinned down (not strained - that just cuts your yield down). I love lime, so I used bottled juice. I thought it would be subtandard, but it's actually pretty good.

There are a lot of good canning sources out there. One of the best is the Ball Guide to canning, Ball being a brand name.