Garden: Growing Rutabagas

Here's a picture of some of the rutabagas I grew in my garden. I also grew some very large lettuce leaves and large garlic bulbs. I love to grow large tomatoes, 2 pound ones. We have fresh veggies all the time. What we don't use, I freeze them and share with friends and neighbors. It's a very good pastime, saves on food.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Growing Rutabagas

Nice... I like to garden but this year we didn't have a very good garden. I think it was the cool northern climate. We didn't get the sunshine that the garden needed. I only got a bushel of tomatoes from 20 plants. then it got to cold and they died. I have in the past had a bushel from each plant. I like that, then I can make pizza, spaghetti and bbq sauce, ketchup and tomato juice.

I love rudabagas! I've never tried growing them tho! Should put them on my list next year! I took sprouted potatoes one year, cut and planted them. What great potatoes I got! It's fun to see what you get. This past year was a strange one for growing. My tomatoes didn't do all that well either (in west Michigan). Hope next year is better!

We always have a garden, right now the only thing we have in ours is turnips....

How do you grow 2 pound tomatoes is my question to you!!! lol! I live in Arkansas, and our garden this year didn't do squat...we have had good sized tomatoes before, but not 2 pounds...what's your secret? Thanks! Arky...Linda

It takes a mixture of clay soil & manure to grow large tomatoes also some miracle grow fertilizer. Go by the directions on the miracle grow package. They need plenty of water, good luck.

Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodDecember 4, 2008
Rutabaga Soup
Recipes Using Rutabagas
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
Heirloom Tomato Varieties
Growing Heirloom Vegetables