Growing FoodGrowing

Garden: Growing Rutabagas

Here's a picture of some of the rutabagas I grew in my garden. I also grew some very large lettuce leaves and large garlic bulbs. I love to grow large tomatoes, 2 pound ones. We have fresh veggies all the time. What we don't use, I freeze them and share with friends and neighbors. It's a very good pastime, saves on food.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Growing Rutabagas

Nice... I like to garden but this year we didn't have a very good garden. I think it was the cool northern climate. We didn't get the sunshine that the garden needed. I only got a bushel of tomatoes from 20 plants. then it got to cold and they died. I have in the past had a bushel from each plant. I like that, then I can make pizza, spaghetti and bbq sauce, ketchup and tomato juice.

I love rudabagas! I've never tried growing them tho! Should put them on my list next year! I took sprouted potatoes one year, cut and planted them. What great potatoes I got! It's fun to see what you get. This past year was a strange one for growing. My tomatoes didn't do all that well either (in west Michigan). Hope next year is better!

We always have a garden, right now the only thing we have in ours is turnips....

How do you grow 2 pound tomatoes is my question to you!!! lol! I live in Arkansas, and our garden this year didn't do squat...we have had good sized tomatoes before, but not 2 pounds...what's your secret? Thanks! Arky...Linda

It takes a mixture of clay soil & manure to grow large tomatoes also some miracle grow fertilizer. Go by the directions on the miracle grow package. They need plenty of water, good luck.